This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox plugins

Is there a tutorial somewhere to install flash and java runtme? So far I haven't had any luck.

rick

Re: Firefox plugins

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=64629

Comment

Thanks,but I failed to mention I'm using Kubuntu Dapper. The Kubuntu link on that page no longer exists.

Comment

The alternative way is to simply enable universe and multiverse repositories, fetch updates, then install sun-java5-plugin and flashplugin-nonfree.
        You may have to run the the following command in a terminal:
        Code:
        sudo update-alternatives --config java
        and select the correct java path to use:
        Code:
        /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/jre/bin/java
        (I don't think Easy Ubuntu does this for you, but don't hold me to that)

This way you can see exactly what you are doing, and get official Ubuntu packages for these 2 things

Comment

Those packages just aren't showing up in adept. What I do have is /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java but firefox still complains of missing plugins.
          aboutlugins shows nothing installed.Everything worked before on my last install, think I'm just gonna wipe and reinstall.
          Back in a while,
          rick
          Thanks for everybody's help!

Comment

Did you click "fetch updates" after making the changes to the repository list?, also make sure that the repository changes were actually saved, ie that the lines edited have both 'universe' and 'multiverse' on them.

Comment

Yea,I know the drill, had a perfect Dapper Kubuntu running, mp3's,dvds,w32codecs but I deleted the wrong partition. I think this install is messed up,too many differant things going wrong.

rick

Comment

1) Install Automatix http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=203294
                2) Install firefox plugins from automatix menu

BTW try swiftfox and you will also find all your codecs etc in the automatix menu

Comment

Try Easy Ubuntu

http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/

It automates a number of useful installs, including Flash & Java
                  The website has details of the included packages/apps/etc.
                  "Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things in the world that just don't add up."  James Magary

Comment

Automatix for Kubuntu is very good for installing all those little things left out. Java, w32codecs, flash, and about 50 other very usefull things.

Install Details
                    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=203294

Comment

In running Easy Kubuntu, I got the following error message after the installation of some fonts. It doesn't look too complicated, but I don't know what to do. Help?
                      All fonts downloaded and installed.
                      Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Fo rmat/822.pm line 83, <GEN6> line 4.
                      Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/De bconf/Format/822.pm line 84, <GEN6> line 4.
                      Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Fo rmat/822.pm line 83, <GEN6> line 4.
                      Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/De bconf/Format/822.pm line 84, <GEN6> line 4.

EasyUbuntu will not run before these errors are fixed. Please fix them and try a gain

Comment

Working...
                      X