This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pptp-linux Routing/Name Resolution

OK, I've had great success with this except one thing and I can't find information on this anywhere. At least my search strings didn't pull anything. Basically, when I establish the tunnel, I can't ping any local machine by name or any remote machine by name. I can ping their IP addresses great! I just can't get name resolution. When I disconnect the tunnel, I can once again ping local network machines by name. When established, no . I've added the correct routes and nameserver and domain search area is specified for resolv.conf. Once the tunnel is established, this is what I get in resolv.conf.:

nameserver x.x.x.x
    search REMOTEDOMAIN
    nameserver y.y.y.y
    search LOCALDOMAIN

The first two are established by the PPTP connection, I added the last two as part of the connection routine trying to maintain the Local Name Resolution. Didn't work. I've tried all routing styles and nothing appears to allow name resolution. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 08, 2019, 12:23 PM.

Re pptp-linux Routing/Name Resolution

Anyone?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 08, 2019, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Re pptp-linux Routing/Name Resolution

No. I even have a whole new system that I had to re-install everything. Still, the Name Resolution isn't there for PPTP. Luckily I'm the IT Manager for this remote place and I know the IPs I need. I'd still like to have Name Resolution because, well, names are easier to remember than IP numbers. I've tried adding those routes where the PPTP GUI expects that information, and it does put that in, but PPTP or Kubuntu, I don't know which, doesn't see it, or doesn't know how to use it.
      Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 08, 2019, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X