This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kontact

I have two questions regarding the use of Kontact.

1. There doesn't seem to be many options for formatting the printout of the addressbook. The only options I've tried are ugly (to me). Is there a way to easily create or modify the printing format? If not, can anyone suggest a program that does create nice reports. I am looking for one or two columns (better, in order to save space), with a letter to head each set of last names. Like this:

A
    Anderson, Jack
    Address
    Phone
    B
    Baker, Lily

2. Is there a way for two accounts to share the same addressbook info? I want to sync my palmpilot to Kontact once and then have the addressbook available for my wife to use (on her account).

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

Re: Kontact

Kumula looks pretty nice for what you are trying to do, however it has so much other stuff. Kontact uses Kaddressbook, which of course you already notice it does one thing and one thing only, and that is store contacts. You can print nothing out nice with it really, from what I have seen.

Truthfully, I have been getting fed up with the limited amount of updates/upgrades for Kontact, and the fact it lacks so much. The only thing I really enjoy about Kontact is the fact everything is wrapped up in one like Outlook for instance. I can attach my contacts to the people in IRC/Konversation which allows me to send them files directly from IRC w/o havin to switch to Kontact. Other then that, I want a new package already.

You could always try exporting the address book and then using OOo or KO to edit it, so you can make it look like you want. However, I have noticed in the past that exportin really stinks. I haven't tried in a while though.

Whatever you use, and have success, please let me know. I am open as I am willing to change. If you use Kumula, definately report, as I am thinking of tyring it to implement a trouble ticket system through and IRC channel.

Good luck...
    Richard Johnson (nixternal)<br />Core Developer :: MOTU :: MOTU Council :: Community Council<br />https://launchpad.net/~nixternal<br />http://www.nixternal.com

Comment

Thanks for the link to Kumula. I took a look at it but it is much more than I need. Has anyone tried Evolution? I think that it's Gnome's version of Kontact.

Comment

Originally posted by ainsaur
        Thanks for the link to Kumula. I took a look at it but it is much more than I need. Has anyone tried Evolution? I think that it's Gnome's version of Kontact.
        Evolution is also very good/clever, the only reason that I stopped using it (and thunderbird for that matter) is because I have a Treo 650 smartphone/PDA and it sync's fine with kpilot/kontact/kmail - If I could find out whether jpilot or gpilot would/could use evo or thunderbird that I'd use them instead.

Though I don't know if Evo will do what you want it to do

regards

fatbloke
        What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Comment

I gave Evolution a try and it seems to do what I want, although it seems less polished than Kontact. Now that's something I thought I would never say! The printout of the addressbook is also really good. The only problem is that the printout gives me everything except for the HOME ADDRESS. Does anyone know how to get Evolution to print addresses in addition to phone numbers?

Comment

From what I have seen on this post the treo 650 syncs ok.. is that via bluetooth or cradle? I have an MPX200 right now and I am looking for a pda that can sync with linux with no issues.. any help is appreciated.. I already exported my contacts from outlook to evolution but I want my phone to be able to sync with the OS.

thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X