X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep

Hi

Has anyone managed to use the backup program keep?
    It just gives me incomprehensible error messgase when i try the Backup Now option.

Exception '[Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/backup/rdiff-backup-data'' raised of class 'exceptions.OSError': File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 295, in error_check_Main try: Main(arglist) File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 315, in Main take_action(rps) File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 271, in take_action elif action == "backup": Backup(rps[0], rps[1]) File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 323, in Backup backup_check_dirs(rpin, rpout) File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 372, in backup_check_dirs Globals.rbdir = rpout.append_path("rdiff-backup-data") File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/rpath.py", line 1003, in append_path return self.__class__(self.conn, "/".join((self.base, ext)), new_index) File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/rpath.py", line 741, in __init__ else: self.setdata() File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/rpath.py", line 765, in setdata self.data = self.conn.C.make_file_dict(self.path) Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 23, in ? rdiff_backup.Main.error_check_Main(sys.argv[1:]) File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 295, in error_check_Main try: Main(arglist) File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 315, in Main take_action(rps) File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 271, in take_action elif action == "backup": Backup(rps[0], rps[1]) File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 323, in Backup backup_check_dirs(rpin, rpout) File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 372, in backup_check_dirs Globals.rbdir = rpout.append_path("rdiff-backup-data") File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/rpath.py", line 1003, in append_path return self.__class__(self.conn, "/".join((self.base, ext)), new_index) File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/rpath.py", line 741, in __init__ else: self.setdata() File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/rpath.py", line 765, in setdata self.data = self.conn.C.make_file_dict(self.path) OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/backup/rdiff-backup-data'

Re: Keep

I did use it in breezy, but it would run at odd (to me) times, hogging my resources while it was copying thing to my backup drive. Never had errors running it though.

It may not have the KDE look and feel, but sbackup is a nice program, you can set the time and frequency of the backups, but it is not a complicated program, much like keep.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
      I did use it in breezy, but it would run at odd (to me) times, hogging my resources while it was copying thing to my backup drive. Never had errors running it though.

It may not have the KDE look and feel, but sbackup is a nice program, you can set the time and frequency of the backups, but it is not a complicated program, much like keep.
      Yes. I used sbackup with Breezy, and it worked well.

Comment

Originally posted by bkv
        Hi

Has anyone managed to use the backup program keep?
        It just gives me incomprehensible error messgase when i try the Backup Now option.
        (snip)
        I have tried to use Keep also with suse 10.0 and even after installing all the python related things I could see, it still did not actually appear to work properly - it seemed to backup hourly regardless of setting etc, and the restore gui did not seem fully working.
        Other users confirmed some of this too.

However, it promises to be such an absolutely *brilliant* app that I really would like to use it - and I have looked at the dependencies stated in
        http://packages.debian.org/unstable/kde/keep
        and compared with what I see in my Adept Manager packages list (kubuntu 6.06) several are missing completely, one is not installed but presumably could be:

=================
        libc0.1 (>= 2.3.5-1) [kfreebsd-i386]
        GNU C Library: Shared libraries

libc6.1

libfam0 --is listed as not installed (can be installed presumably by package manager)

libgcc4

libunwind7
        =================

It would be really really good to get this Keep to work! If anyone has ideas please shout?
        tia

Comment

You maybe should add your bug reports here:
          https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/keep/+bugs
          keep is young yet, so give it time. It would be nice to have a KDE based backup that isn't too unwieldy. In its place I run sbackup which works wonderfully and for me flawlessly

Comment

Thanks. I did try sbackup, but I did not seem to know how to run it or execute it (!)
            It is now shown as installed etc. What should I actually do to run it?

Comment

You set up the configuration, including time and frequncy of backup of backup, and click save, or run now. There is no progress bar or gui while it is running, though, it runs in the background

Comment

I have not even got as far as getting the configuration to start - probably a very basic thing I should be doing.....

Comment

I couldn't find where to set the backup time in Keep. How do you specify the time the backup runs? I need it to run at 7:30pm. I cannot believe a backup program wouldn't have the ability to set the time for the backup to run, that would be a rather obvious requiremet, wouldn't it?

Comment

Working...
                  X