This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunderbird & FreePOPs ....localhost problem

Anyone running this combination with Kubuntu v6.0.6 and a router?

Entering localhost as POP3 server causes a problem as I get error message stating connection was refused. BTW trying to check Yahoo mail.

Entering 19.168.1.1. does not help either as I get same message.

HELP !!!!
    [img width=400 height=96]http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/6727/newav1no9.jpg[/img] <br />The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; [i]Bill Watterson

Re: Thunderbird &amp; FreePOPs ....localhost problem

localhost is your machine. 192.168.1.1 is your router. What you are doing is telling Thunderbird that either your machine or your router is the Yahoo POP server. Unless you run Yahoo's mail service out of your house, they're not.

I don't know what the POP server for Yahoo mail is but try looking on the Yahoo help pages, the address of the POP server is probably there somewhere. If you want to try guessig there's a host called pop3.yahoo.com -

mike@continuity$ host pop3.yahoo.com
    pop3.yahoo.com has address 206.190.46.10
    pop3.yahoo.com mail is handled by 5 mail-relay1.yahoo.com.
    pop3.yahoo.com mail is handled by 3 mailhost3.yahoo.com.

it may be that.

Comment

Originally posted by arizonagroovejet
      localhost is your machine. 192.168.1.1 is your router. What you are doing is telling Thunderbird that either your machine or your router is the Yahoo POP server. Unless you run Yahoo's mail service out of your house, they're not.

I don't know what the POP server for Yahoo mail is but try looking on the Yahoo help pages, the address of the POP server is probably there somewhere. If you want to try guessig there's a host called pop3.yahoo.com -

mike@continuity$ host pop3.yahoo.com
      pop3.yahoo.com has address 206.190.46.10
      pop3.yahoo.com mail is handled by 5 mail-relay1.yahoo.com.
      pop3.yahoo.com mail is handled by 3 mailhost3.yahoo.com.

it may be that.
      I am afraid that is not quite the case. This program, which has a twin (YPOPs) that runs under Windows, is meant for those wishing to use POP3 for downloading Yahoo/Hotmail as Yahoo now for some time no longer allows POP3 downloading unless you are a paying customer.

It access your account via HTTP. The default server address under both Operating Systems is the local host (127.0.0.1). However there is mention of using the -P parameter with the router address which is rightly 192.168.1.1

Some security feature in Linux is preventing access to the local host unlike in Win-XP and that is what I need to figure out.
      [img width=400 height=96]http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/6727/newav1no9.jpg[/img] <br />The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; [i]Bill Watterson

Comment

If anyone wants me I'll be sitting in the corner facing the wall for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by arizonagroovejet
          If anyone wants me I'll be sitting in the corner facing the wall for a while.
          Ha! ha!
          Nothing ventured nothing gained ...... at least you try to help unlike some who just read the posts and pass on

Comment

Working...
          X