This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Set - OpenOffice Language Settings

Tools -> Options -> Language Options -> Language -> Default Languages for document.

I am trying to set the above language setting of OpenOffice from blank (yes nothing is selected by default) to English(UK).

But the "For the current document only" is selected and grey out. So, no matter what I do to the setting, it is only temporary. Upon reboot, I will need to set it again.

Is there a way that I can set the language permanently?

Attached Files

Re: Can't Set - OpenOffice Language Settings

Maybe you can try unchecking 'Enabled for Asian languages'?

Also, go into Adept and make sure 'openoffice.orgl10n-en-gb' is installed.

Also, set all of the 'Language of' options to English UK.

Comment

Hi Rob,

tried all that but still no go :-(

Comment

The problem I had was I installed Kubuntu setting the language to GB English and the location/timezone to Dar es salaam, Tanzania.
        When I opened openoffice.org2 for the first time the default lanuage for documents was AU English and it is impossible to change this for anything other than the current document.
        This is not the case in other versions of ooo2 under other versions of linux!

The solution
        From the start menu (openoffice.org NOT open)

Go to system settings
        Under 'regional and accesability- country/region and language' change your country/region to the one you thought you set as default during the install.
        Change your language to the one you though you had set as default during the install.

Now select language support from the system menu and set your default language to what you want (like you thought you did when you installed Kubuntu.

Now, if you have never run openoffice.org2, run it and all will be as you expected it to be in the first place.
        If you have run it before (and hence discovered you had a problem) open konqueror. select your home folder and click 'view' - 'show hidden files'.
        Now delete the hidden file .openoffice.org2 - WARING this will erase all your customisation of openoffice.
        Now when you run openoffice.org2 again your default language for documents will be as you wanted.
        You can still only change it for the current document but at least it should now be correct.

I expect the disabling of the set default language in openoffice.org2 is a 'feature' introduced by some helpful sole in the Kubunu team who was trying to make life simpler for us idiots who just want ot use their computers easily!

Comment

further to my last posting - this worked perfectly for one machine but failed for the second machine I tried it on. However it did work when I rebooted between deleting the .openoffice.org2 folder and running openoffice.org2

Comment

I have this problem too, and I don't think what is posted here is a solution. We operate in a multi-lingual environment, and people regularly need to change language settings. Changing OO to Indonesian for all documents for a few days and then back to english is common - or would be if they had the option. This is a growing source of frustration for users. Is there some way to disable the 'For current document only' option?

Comment

The best way to use openoffice in multilingual enviroments is to define different styles for each language. The language can be set at the character level and added into a style.

This makes quite easy to change the language for a phrase or a parragrahp. Just apply a style.

Comment

That doesn't answer my question. Instead it gives me a *much* more useful and powerful method for language integration Thank you very much for that tip!

I'd still be interested to know why the option is greyed out - it isn't on my gentoo install. But now I only need to know for curiosity reasons, not because of any pressing operational concerns.

Comment

Working...
                X