This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kpilot not working in Dapper

I did a fresh breezy kubuntu install, and kpilot doesn't work, I set it up ok using the wizard (it found my tungsten t2 that worked perfectly in all previous ubuntu and kubuntu releases), it works fine and repeatedly until I use another USB device (usb stick or HD), after that it won't work until I have rebooted.

Re: Kpilot not working in Dapper

I was actually impressed with Kpilot and my Sony Clie. I haven't had any issues at all, except for Email and Avantgo stuff. I am not happy however with the entire KDE Pim stuff. It seems as if it never gets updated or upgraded and the sites are ancient. The last news is that they moved to another location back in January of 2006. have you tried uninstalling Kpilot and reinstalling it, or blowing out the ~/.kde/share/apps/kpilot direcotry?

I wish I could be of more help with the problems, and I hate saying that "it works for me," to you, as that don't help. If you get it fixed, please let me know, as it seems more and more people are making the switch to Kubuntu and use Palm devices.

Before I go, have you check out dmesg at all? It might give you a hint of the problem. Type the following at the command line, and look it over for errors or what not that could be related.
    Code:
    # dmesg
    You might find something in there that can help you out, fee free to post the output here!! Good luck.
    Richard Johnson (nixternal)<br />Core Developer :: MOTU :: MOTU Council :: Community Council<br />https://launchpad.net/~nixternal<br />http://www.nixternal.com

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
      I did a fresh breezy kubuntu install, and kpilot doesn't work, I set it up ok using the wizard (it found my tungsten t2 that worked perfectly in all previous ubuntu and kubuntu releases), it works fine and repeatedly until I use another USB device (usb stick or HD), after that it won't work until I have rebooted.
      How far are you getting with it ??

Because, although I had kpilot working out of the box with mandriva, it didn't with either SuSE 10.1 or Kubuntu 6.06 - it would get so far through the sync process and then the kpilot daemon would crash.

I found that I had to modify the sync of the parts that were crashing.

They were the J9 MIDP Bundle and J9 Java VM i.e. I had to these both as "comma seperated values" by doing Kmenu>utilities>kpilot then when it had started Settings>configure kpilot>backup and in the box marked "No Backup" add J9 MIDP Bundle,J9 Java VM to the end of the line.

Then the hotsync seems to work fine - well most of the time.

Occassionally it(kpilot) will forget the devices username and I have to run the detection wizard again, but it seems to work fine after that - I'm given to understand that this is an issue between the pilots software and kpilot, and is due to be remedied with the next release (I got that from the Kpim mailing list).

HTH

regards

fatbloke
      What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions.

Fatbloke, I have tried what you said, and it doesn't make any difference.

nixternal, here is what I suppose to be the relevant part of the dmesg output, afeter pressing the hotsync button on the cradle, :

[17181111.316000] <6>usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 5
        [17181117.600000] visor 1-2:1.0: device disconnected
        [17199641.280000] usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
        [17199641.424000] visor 1-2:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter detected
        [17199641.424000] usb 1-2: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB2
        [17199641.424000] usb 1-2: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB3
        [17199772.840000] usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 6
        [17199772.840000] visor ttyUSB2: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now disconnected from ttyUSB2
        [17199772.840000] visor ttyUSB3: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now disconnected from ttyUSB3

Comment

Working...
        X