This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

software installation.....

i have installed a few programs from adept and.....i cant find them.....
    i have about 5 programs i cant find in the menus like kweather, a wallpaper app, freedoom, gaim, etc.
    i have the debian menu installed but its not there either.....
    what do i need to do to find them?.....

Re: software installation.....

Sometimes the menu just needs to be refreshed. This happens every time you log in. If you want to force a refresh without logging out, press Alt-F2 and type this command:
    Code:
    kbuildsycoca --noincremental
    This is probably likely to work for GAIM.

Some applications, though, aren't launchable. KWeather, for example, is an applet that goes in the panel. I don't think it's an independent application you can run. To add it, right-click on the panel and select Add Applet to Panel.

Command-line applications will not get entries either, since they cannot be launched through the graphical user interface.

And some applications just don't have menu entries because they didn't come packaged with them. You can manually add these to the KMenu by right-clicking the menu, selecting Menu Editor and adding an entry.

In almost all cases, the command to launch an application is the application name itself in lowercase.
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

@aysiu: thanks for that tip on kbuildsyscoca. Does that do almost the same thing as logging out and back in?

There must be an easier way to update the K Menu...
      Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

GAIM should have been automatically added to your Internet menu.  It was on my PC, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
          @aysiu: thanks for that tip on kbuildsyscoca. Does that do almost the same thing as logging out and back in?
          It does as far as the KMenu is concerned.

There must be an easier way to update the K Menu...
          Well you don't always have to refresh the KMenu... only if the application doesn't appear in it.
          Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

ah.....
            thank you muchly.....

lol.....i am still a n00b so this is all new to me.....

Comment

Working...
            X