This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing nvidia drivers no more opengl

While using opengl, i had a really lousy preformance, thus i installed the nvidia drivers.
    I installed the nvidia drivers using this command.

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel-common

Now when I try to run something with opengl, it just closes the game.

tuxracer, doesnt starts ( i think it does starts but closes already before i can see a thing)

supertux, closes when i let it switch to opengl.

Re: installing nvidia drivers no more opengl

See if this guide helps you

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_Nvidia_Dapper

I recommend following Method 1, which is the easiest.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Tried that, kubuntu hangs at the logo

Comment

at which logo? the one with the kubuntu name on a black background (bootsplash background)?

Just to check:
        - have you installed the proper linux-restricted-modules for your kernel? check if the restricted module that you installed exactly matches the kernel version you are using (for example, linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-23-k7 and linux-image-2.6.15-23-k7)
        - did you run nvidia-xconfig?

If yes, press Ctrl+Alt+F1, which will start a command-line interface session. enter your username and password. Then type "startx" (minus the quotes). You will probably get thrown back to the command line, but this time, with some error messages. read the last 5-8 lines and see what it says. If you could remember and post them here, that might be helpful in figuring out what went wrong.
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

ok.. now it just hangs after the first kubuntu logo, under where all the things it loads get listed..

normaly that one goes away, a new kubuntu logo apears for a lil.. then it goes away too and i get to kde.

now it hangs between the two logo's and pressing ctrl-alt-f1 does not do anything.

ps:
          at which logo? the one with the kubuntu name on a black background (bootsplash background)?
          yes that one, the second of it.

Comment

I have exactly the same problem! ahh
            am running kubuntu and trying to install the drivers for my GeForce 5500, but after I have changed "nv" to "nvidia" in xorg.conf my system hangs at the kubuntu logo stage (ie splash screen before kde starts running!)
            please help

Comment

Have you enabled the driver? try.....
              sudo nvidia-glx-config enable

If that doesn't work you have to manualy change it by ....
              sudo kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf
              and in the driver section where it says "nv" change it to "nvidia".

The first solution worked in breezy the second one worked in dapper, for me.

Also the only thing you should have from Adept is "nvidia-glx", "nvidia-glx-dev", and "nvidia-kernal-common".

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
              X