This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misc Questions

1] I installed Kubuntu 6.06 2 days back and at the start i think the first five or 6 times when i booted it, it used to give this error on bootup:
    "The Process for media protocol died unexpectedly."
    i wanna know what this error is about and is there anything to worry?

2] I have mounted my FAT32 and NTFS drives, the problem is that when i go into a FAT32 drive and right click and make a new file suppose a Kate file, it allows me to create it and i cna save it. While if i start Kate first and then make a file and try saving it from the File->Save in the Kate Menu it does let me save in any of the FAT32 drives....

3] Yesterday i was working on KPDF and by mistake the main menu of KPDF i.e. ,"File Edit View Tools Help" became  Invisible. I wanna make it back what to do?

4] Is there anyway i can make Desktop icons like windows of Storage Device, and other thing like Home and etc, actually i tried this:
    i went to into the main directory and drag the item i wanted the shortcut to be and dropped it on desktop and made a shortcut but the icon of it is like terminal.

5] Can anyone recommend me some good softwares related to Multimedia, CD buring, Browser (Is Konqeror okay?) etc, i know the sites from the guide.... Is there any offline installation of Wine available for Kubuntu?

6] How to play *.dat files

7] Yesterday i was working on OpenOffice.org 2.0. And after i completed, i inetionally made some mistakes to check how much OpenOffice is good but as i see it doesn't check spelling mistakes. It only starts checking and give the completion message without any errors.

Re: Misc Questions

I can answer just a few of those.

1.  My brother also has the 'media protocol' error from time to time but it doesn't seem to be a bad one.  Everything works fine for him....so I don't know what it is.

4.  You should be able to do this by right-clicking a blank spot on your Desktop--->Create New--->Link to Location or Link to Device

5.  Opera 9 and Firefox are excellent browsers.  Konq is ok, but I think FF and Opera are much better.

Comment

5. VLC Media Player, MPlayer, and XMMS are all good. Kaffeine also works well if you enable restricted formats by fallowing the directions here...https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

7. To get spellcheck to work in openoffice use adept to install the myspell-en-us package.

Comment

Well i am still as confused as earlier,

Comment

On what are you still confused on?, your questions have been answered if you want more info please elaborate.

Comment

Some more snwers:

2.] You want to be careful saving to NTFS drives. As I understand write support to NTFS partitions is experimental and may not work at all depending on the driver you use. I used one of the only two NTFS capable drivers I know of a long time ago and it seemed to write without issue but I always steer clear of things marked experimental. FAT and FAT32 partitions are cool though. You should be able to right click your desktop and create a "device" link to those partitions without issue. You may get into permission issues depepnding on how the drive is mounted. If you mounted it as root then you won't be able to write as a normal user. That may explain why you were able to create files in Konq. but not from kate. (Was Konqueror run as root?)

3.) Open KPDF and Hit Ctrl+M to toggle the main menu. (It's very frustrating when these things happen unexpectedly and I completely understand.)

4.) Right click the desktop and create a device link as explained above.

5.) Firefox is my personal favorite for web browsing. KIIIB works well for media burning, and I can't live without Amarok for music playing and management. Amaraok is leagues above XMMS and others IMHO. For video, I've heard great things about VLC and it's multiplatform, works on WinXP and Mac too. I use MPlayer without issues though.

6.) Don't know what a .dat file is. From my (Windows) understanding it's an arbitrary format that can store text or binary info for programs. I've never "played" one before so I wouldn't know what type of player to use.

7.) I just started OpenOffice Word processor and typed the following sentence: "i can't spell sumple wirds too weel without a spelchecker. " It instantly underlined "sumple", "wirds", "weel", and "spelchecker" with a red squiggle line. Right clicking any mistake gives a context menu with offered suggestions. Which OpenOffice app were you using?

Comment

Working...
            X