This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"switchin off" sudo completely ???

I'd like to switch sudo off completely. So hows that done?

I've made the root password, but can't find where or how to dump sudo. By personal preference, I prefer having to use the more conventional methods of doing system with root, and user stuff, well with the user account.

Can someone point me in the right direction please

regards

fatbloke
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Re: "switchin off" sudo completely

rm it from /usr/bin?

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
      rm it from /usr/bin?
      Thought about that, but doesn't that kill other parts of the system

regards

fatbloke

Comment

I would say you can do it without affecting other services.
        Easy enough to restore when you for a start just rename it.

But what about kdesu (and I think there are a few more like that).

Comment

Or you can just enable root login, so you wont have to use sudo in that respect... Just login as root, no more sudo :-D

Comment

Use Mepis 6, which is based off Ubuntu but uses the traditional root/user model.

Or you can follow these instructions to make sudo applications ask for the root password.
            Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Re: &quot;switchin off&quot; sudo completely

Originally posted by aysiu
              Use Mepis 6, which is based off Ubuntu but uses the traditional root/user model.

Or you can follow these instructions to make sudo applications ask for the root password.
              Which tell me that
              Let sudo ask for the root password

You can make sudo ask for the root password instead of the user password, you can do this by adding the keyword rootpw to the line in /etc/sudoers that starts with Defaults.

<!> Make certain that you don't do this if you intend to lock the root account
              So if I have a peep at the /etc/sudoers file, the line that starts with Defaults, has what appear to be a tabbed space after the "Defaults" word and then what I suspect are "comma seperated values", so where should I put the rootpw "bit" ?

Plus I don't follow what they mean by the <!> comment of "intend to lock the root account". What do they mean by that ?

fatbloke (confused)

Comment

Well incase you just want to log into root heres how to do it:

In /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc (nano /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc)

edit
                Code:
                # Allow root logins?
                # Default is true
                AllowRootLogin=false
                Switch it to true
                If you havent set the root password just:
                Code:
                sudo passwd root

Comment

So if I have a peep at the /etc/sudoers file, the line that starts with Defaults, has what appear to be a tabbed space after the "Defaults" word and then what I suspect are "comma seperated values", so where should I put the rootpw "bit" ?

Plus I don't follow what they mean by the <!> comment of "intend to lock the root account". What do they mean by that ?
                  What they mean is that if you change the sudoers file so that sudo wants the root password instead of the user password, then don't disable the root account or you'll never be able to do sudo commands, or any other administrative tasks because there is no root.

BTW, use visudo to edit the sudoers file. That way it checks the validity of the file before it saves (actually it calls nano to do the editing which saves to a temp file).

If you want your system to use the root password, make you default look like this:

Code:
                  # Defaults

Defaults	!lecture,tty_tickets,!fqdn,rootpw
                  Remember, the man command lists the functions of all commands and there is a man page for sudoers.

Comment

Working...
                  X