This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

setup ftp

Noobee to U/Ku/buntu....Installed today.  Installation went smooth.  Network was already up and going with dynamic ip address on first boot.  A few questions about how this works....

1.  It looks as if ftp is not running since trying to ftp into it rejects the connection request.  How do I check to see if ftp is installed, and configure it to start automatically.

2.  How do I look at services.  a command like "service smb status" just doesn't work, it returns "command not found".  Even "sudo service smb status" asks me for the password, (for root I suppose) which is then rejected when I type it in.  I think I read during installation that the root account is disabled.  Anyway, not sure how to check services status or start and stop services.

3. When I issue any command with "sudo" in front, I am asked for a password.  What password does it want ?  It doesn't accept my own password or the password for root either.  For example, the command "sudo ifconfig" asks me for a password, which doesn't work no matter which one I enter, but the command "ifconfig" without the sudo works.  How do you know which commands require sudo, and what is the password ?

Sorry if these sound like dumb questions but this is quite a bit different from distros like Mandriva or RH that I am used to.  Thanks for any suggestions anyone may have for me.

MIKE

Re: setup ftp

Originally posted by codeventure
    1. It looks as if ftp is not running since trying to ftp into it rejects the connection request. How do I check to see if ftp is installed, and configure it to start automatically.
    IIRC, an FTP server is not installed by default. Look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FtpServer for details on setting one up.
    2. How do I look at services. a command like "service smb status" just doesn't work, it returns "command not found". Even "sudo service smb status" asks me for the password, (for root I suppose) which is then rejected when I type it in. I think I read during installation that the root account is disabled. Anyway, not sure how to check services status or start and stop services.
    Checking services is an art in itself. You can try
    Code:
    ps aux
    to see everything that is running. There is also a file called /etc/services that lists some of them, and services are usually started from /etc/init.d
    3. When I issue any command with "sudo" in front, I am asked for a password. What password does it want ? It doesn't accept my own password or the password for root either. For example, the command "sudo ifconfig" asks me for a password, which doesn't work no matter which one I enter, but the command "ifconfig" without the sudo works. How do you know which commands require sudo, and what is the password ?
    sudo wants your password.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkSavant
      Checking services is an art in itself. You can try
      Code:
      ps aux
      to see everything that is running. There is also a file called /etc/services that lists some of them, and services are usually started from /etc/init.d
      Here's a shortcut to see all running processes:

<Ctrl><Esc>

Comment

As you are running KDE; Kmenu/System/KSysGuard will show you the same.

To clarify the password issue, in (K)ubuntu it'll always be the password you entered during install. usually the same as the first user.

btw, for certain (internet connected) services and clients it's safer to use kdesu.

Generally (K)ubuntu is installed with a minimum of services running, so things like samba or ftp will either have to be installed or started afterwards.

Kmenu/System/Adept will help you determin what has been installed and what is available.

Comment

Working...
        X