This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uninstalled CUPS broke KDE

Hi, I uninstalled CUPS packages with Adept and then Adept uninstalled itself as well as my KDE panel applet, and who knows what else! Please help. I googled a way to undo with apt-get and didn't find anything. My kde screen is now very minimal. A few icons are still on my desktop but the theme is gone in swiftfox, for example. Also the kde login screen is different.

During the uinstall of CUPS the 'show details' during the process in Adept said it was trying to even uninstall KDE! I only told it to uninstall CUPS related stuff. I never got any warning about KDE applets and themes, or whatever else uninstalling.

I don't have access to adept any longer, of course since it uninstalled itself. Sigh.

I didn't click 'preview changes' before applying changes but I guess I could have presumed Dapper go overboard in uninstalling unrelated and essential stuff.

HELP PLEASE.

Re: Uninstalled CUPS broke KDE

Well after thinking about this it seems to me this is a bug but not a traditional type of bug. It's a bug from a user's perspective though. Uninstalling system critical software (from a desktop perspective) should not be possible like this. Maybe it did this because of how linux uses dependancies everywhere, I don't really know though.

Comment

Re: Uninstalled CUPS broke KDE

hope it helps:
      1)go to command line
      2) sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop (this will do the kde reinstall the way it was...)
      cheers

Comment

Working...
      X