X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kuickshow unsupported in dapper?

Hi, forum,

Within Hoary and Breezy, I used Kuickshow for picture related tasks.

Now, I'm using dapper and I'm missing kuickshow, which is obviously not longer supported by ubuntu, because it isn't listed in the repos anymore. :-(

Is there someone, who knows, why?

THXS for your comments.

Hagen

Re: Kuickshow unsupported in dapper?

The only reason I could think of is that Kuickshow is no longer maintained. The last changes to the app were made in 2001. I also think it's no longer supported by KDE, since GwenView and DigiKam seems to be the new apps for image viewing.

I'm not really sure, though. Just my opinion.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

This package is still available (I'm still using it) you should be able to get it from your kdegraphics packages

Comment

It is? That's weird. I couldn't find it. And I couldn't see it in the Dapper repositories nor in the list of dependencies of the kdegraphics package:

Dependencies: kamera (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), kcoloredit (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), kdegraphics-kfile-plugins (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), kdvi (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), kfax (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), kfaxview (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), kgamma (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), kghostview (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), kiconedit (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), kmrml (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), kolourpaint (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), kooka (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), kpdf (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), kpovmodeler (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), kruler (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), ksnapshot (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), ksvg (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), kview (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), kviewshell (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1), libkscan1 (>= 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1)
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

The version I've have is a supported version for dapper.

Have you tried:

sudo apt-get install kuickshow

and the search facility in adept/synaptic

Comment

Well, I wasn't the one looking for kuickshow. I just tried to confirm whether it was in the repositories or now.

According to packages.ubuntu.com, kuickshow is only available in Warty, Hoary, and Breezy (http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/s...ll&release=all)
            Did you upgrade from Breezy to Dapper or is it a fresh install? Is it possible that in merely upgrading to Dapper, kuickshow was left over?

Anyway, this changelog says that kuickshow was deliberately left out from Dapper: http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changel...ntu6/changelog
            kdegraphics (4:3.5.2-0ubuntu5) dapper; urgency=low

* Remove all references to kuickshow in debian/control
            Closes malone #38573

-- Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com> Sat, 29 Apr 2006 16:49:58 +0100

kdegraphics (4:3.5.2-0ubuntu4) dapper; urgency=low

* Do not build-dep on imlib
            * Do not create kuickshow package (needs imlib)

-- Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com> Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:27:21 +0100
            (would you imagine I found that quote from a French Ubuntu site? And I know absolutely no French! )

However, upon further searching, I found this guide on how to install it on Dapper: http://www.elijahlofgren.com/linux/u...tall-kuickshow
            Hope that helps the OP.
            Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Hi, forum,

1st of all, thanks for your answers...

That all helped a lot.

I also found the short kuickshow install howto and tried to install kuickshow.

But I ran into dependency hell.

Kuickshow misses a lib, I don't remember, which one (I'm not at home at the moment).

I tried to install a debian unstable package which includes that lib.

Unfortunately, the result was only a conflict with the equivalent dapper package.

So, I'll try it a 2nd time during the weekend. Then, I'm going to tell you, which lib and/or package stands behind the problems I've descibed before.

Hagen

Comment

that would be imlib, AFAIK. As much as possible, don't mix packages from other distros with our own packages. I learned that the hard way, too. Not everything that ends in .deb is meant to be used for all DEB based distros.

Have you tried DigiKam or GwenView? they might have the same features as Kuickshow.
                Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Working...
                X