This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed new kernel-remove old one???

The last lot of updates had a new kernel version - which installed fine.

The only minor issue was the nvidia driver and an apparently missing linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-25-386

I managed to sort that, but while I was sorting it, I've ended up with 4 different kernel versions installed. I'm now using 2.6.15-25-686 which seems to work fine so I wanted to get rid of the old and unused versions.

I looked in the obvious place i.e. /usr/src but they don't seem to be there so where do they live in Kubuntu so I can remove them ?

regards

fatbloke
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Re: Installed new kernel-remove old one

You can remove kernels just by uninstalling them through Adept, Synaptic or apt-get. Look for the linux-image-something files.

I would suggest leaving at least another previously working kernel as backup, just in case the new one that you are using turns up bad.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
      You can remove kernels just by uninstalling them through Adept, Synaptic or apt-get. Look for the linux-image-something files.

I would suggest leaving at least another previously working kernel as backup, just in case the new one that you are using turns up bad.
      Which I eventually found. Though it took me a while as I was looking for kernel-image-xxxxxxxxxx which just happens to be where the 2.4 kernel stuff is listed, whereas I hadn't worked out that the 2.6 stuff is found under linux-image-xxxxxxxx as you suggested.

Thankyou very much for the pointer(s).

regards

fatbloke
      What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Comment

I am having the same problem you probably had with restricted modules (nvidia), but i don't know how to overcome it. After booting the new kernel i can't start the kde... help...

SOLVED
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=6110.0

Comment

Working...
        X