Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get out of date packages in reps updated?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get out of date packages in reps updated?

I have come across a couple of programs from the reps recently that are quite out of date. Kmymoney is version 8.2 which was released in Dec 2005 but they released 8.3 in Feb and 8.4 in May. I know the May release was probably a bit late to make Dapper but I would have thought the Feb release should have made it. There is a deb available but it has lots of missing dependencies because it obviously isn't packaged for Dapper.

The other program is Apollon which looks like the rep version is from 2004 but the update in 2005 hasn't been included. Again I think it is in the Debian reps.

I don't really know how the Ubuntu reps sync with Debian and whether the problem is Debian being slow moving the new packages from unstable to stable or whether the problem is with Ubuntu.

I would rather just use ubuntu rep packages as much as possible but I am wondering whether the best thing is to learn to compile/package myself. If I make packages myself will it cause problems when updating in the future?

Re: How to get out of date packages in reps updated?

The easiest way to see if these packages are available with newer releases is to visit Ubuntu Packages and search for the packages you are interested in. If there are newer versions, you will be able to locate the repositories they are in. You may have to make changes to /etc/apt/sources.list to enable multiverse repositories.
    Richard Johnson (nixternal)<br />Core Developer :: MOTU :: MOTU Council :: Community Council<br />https://launchpad.net/~nixternal<br />http://www.nixternal.com

Comment

Re: How to get out of date packages in reps updated?

The updated versions aren't available from the ubuntu reps but have been released by the program developers. What I want to know is how do I request those packages be updated so that the ubuntu version is based on the latest packages rather than old versions.

Comment

Working...
      X