Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screensavers causing display to freeze in KDE desktop.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screensavers causing display to freeze in KDE desktop.

Some of the GL screensavers (so far KRotation and KPendulum) cause the display to freeze. I know the simple solution would be not to use GL screensavers, but I like having them and I like to use the random facility. I'm using whichever version of the KDE desktop comes with Kubuntu 6.06.

I guess this boils down to three questions really; -

1. Is there a list I can edit to disable the screensavers that cause me problems?

2. Is it possible to cure the freezing problem?

3. Is there an alternative to hitting the reset button to get out of the frozen display? (CTRL, ALT, ESC doesn't have any effect).

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,

John

Re: Screensavers causing display to freeze in KDE desktop.

Not related to this problem by any chance

regards

fatbloke

p.s. and if ctrl+alt+esc isn't working (dunno what thats supposed to do anyway) have you tried ctrl+alt+backspace thats supposed to restart the X server (or is that what you meant?).
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Comment

Hi fatbloke,

No, I don't think it's related to that problem; I'd already looked at it, and it's about the completely nonfunctional screensaver in KDE 3.5.3 (which I experienced in SUSE 10.1 before coming back to Kubuntu). When I figure out how to upgrade to KDE 3.5.3, I'll have another look at it.

In the meantime, your suggestion of CTRL-ALT-Backspace was the sort of thing I had in mind, but when I tried it on a frozen display, it didn't work. It works fine any other time, though.

CTRL-ALT-DEL will enable you to get out of a locked up app; when you hit that key combination, the mouse pointer becomes a skull-and-crossbones, and the next window you click in will be terminated. I think it's probably a KDE only thing, though. I don't know if it works with Gnome.

If you see what I mean. I'm not that good at explaining stuff.

Anyway, thanks for the comeback.

Cheers,

John

Comment

In my KDE the appskilling combination is always been Ctrl+Alt+Esc. Then comes skull&crossbone, and by clicking with mouse, app is dead. That's when apps are frozen. But I have a problem, where screen is dead, only mouse is moving. Nothing don't work. I think that system is working in background, because mouse still work, (what i'm searching for, it's Nvidia driver bug). O.K. When it's appears, I'm succesfully use to keycombination Alt+Sysrq+K. Then KDE starting again with login, but not whole rebooting anyway.
        Somebody help me ye, somebody help me now, somebody help me when Im down...

Comment

Yeah, sorry, my mistake.

I meant to put CTRL-ALT-ESC. Just can't shake Windows off.

John

Comment

Working...
          X