This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the use of "Alternate Installation CD"

I had installed Kubuntu 6.06 and understand that some of the files is located at the "Alternate Install CD", e.g. the kernel header files etc.

So, after downloading the Alternate Install CD, how can I apt-get it without burning the iso into a CD.

Re: What is the use of "Alternate Installation CD"

If you already have a working installation, you don't need the Alternate Install CD to install stuff, like the kernel header files. You just need to apt-get them, using Adept probably.

Using the Alternate Install CD as a repository to install some very, very basic packages (like build-essential) is only for those who don't have an internet connection available. Also, not all packages are available in that CD, or if they are, they might not be up-to-date (there were a few updates available these past days).

And I don't think the kernel headers are available on that CD.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Does that means for those who do not a an internet connection ready after installation , e.g. USB wireless adapter not recognised by Kubuntu and therefore need to do some diy using :

build-essential
      gcc-3.4
      linux-headers
      sysutils

will have no way out?

Comment

I'm not sure about that, though. I'm not familiar with how to get wireless stuff working.

But build-essential is available on the CD and this installs everything you need to compile from source, which includes gcc and friends.
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Working...
        X