This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sreensaver Problem

I have a problem with a particular screensaver. There is a screensaver called "Lorenz Attractor" which freezes my computer. The only way out of that situation is to restart my computer with the resrat button as the computer is so "freezed up" that neither the keyboard nor the mouse has any effect.
    At first I thought it happened when the random application of the screensaver came round to that particaular screen saver, but the problem is worse. In my attempts to disable the screensaver I discovered the even clicking on the "lorenz attractor" label in the configuration table froze my computer.
    How can I delete or fix this troublesome screensaver? I did delete and re-install screensavers using adept. No change.
    Errol

Re: Sreensaver Problem

Unfortunately, the Lorenz attractor is part of the Kscreensaver package. While it might be possible to delete all the Lorenz specific files and retain all the other screen savers, that wuld only work until the next time the package is updated (possibly not until October, or December 2006). So you have two choices: use another screen saver; or remove the kscreensaver package entirely and install xscreensaver instead. I have not tried this and, therefore, I can't recommend it. But conversely, I have no experience indicating it won't work.

Personally, I'd just avoid getting attracted by the Lorenz attractor

Comment

Askrieger,
      Thanks for your input. I have changed my screensaver habits and now no longer use "random" but use a specific saver.
      Should I post a "bugzilla"? If I should, how (and where) should I do this?
      Errol

Comment

errol, I'd second askrieger's recommendation of dumping kscreensaver and installing xscreensaver, it just works much better.

However, one way you can likely fix your problem without being stuck with only one screen saver is by editing the config file by hand. Since I don't use kscreensaver I can't be sure of the file, but with xscreensaver disabling a screensaver only requires putting a minus sign at the beginning of the line, so you could go back to random mode, then edit the file to prevent the Lorenz attractor from appearing. Now, the KScreensaver config file might be different, but I'd guess you can figure out the differences between enabled and disabled modules pretty easily.

The kscreensaver config should be located in something like <YOUR HOME>/.kde/apps/kscreensaver

Comment

Originally posted by errol
          I have a problem with a particular screensaver. There is a screensaver called "Lorenz Attractor" which freezes my computer. The only way out of that situation is to restart my computer with the resrat button as the computer is so "freezed up" that neither the keyboard nor the mouse has any effect.
          At first I thought it happened when the random application of the screensaver came round to that particaular screen saver, but the problem is worse. In my attempts to disable the screensaver I discovered the even clicking on the "lorenz attractor" label in the configuration table froze my computer.
          How can I delete or fix this troublesome screensaver? I did delete and re-install screensavers using adept. No change.
          Errol
          Hey ... I just built a xscreensaver-5.00 deb package. Its only x86 because that is all I have .. but it may fix your prob.
          Its currently uploading (28mb)
          So give it a couple of min then go for it.

http://www.sublimegrooves.com/files/...saver-5.00.deb

Comment

Hi Vibe
            I just downloaded your xscreensaver package but it tells me I have the "wrong architecture x86". Help!!
            Errol

Comment

Working...
            X