X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kpowersave display power management following inactivity

Hello,
    I am running dapper drake on a samsung x20, with kernel 2.6.17-rc6, and it looks great so far.
    Even the cardreader works.
    I am using kpowersave, and suspend2disk and suspend2ram do work fine when I click the
    corresponding buttons in the kpowersave applet in the system tray.
    I was just wondering if I could configure something useful regarding the inactivity settings.
    I found an entry called
    Screen Saver and DPMS,
    which looks as if it governs exactly the actions the laptop should do following inactivity periods
    of given length.
    So, I entered
    Standby after: 1 min
    Suspend after: 2 min
    Power off after: 3 min

Well, the laptop goes to Standby (well, I do not exactly know what standby is. What happens, is
    that a black screen turns up after 1 min.)
    But after this, no further actions are taken. That is, the laptop stays in black-screen mode until the battery is sucked empty. No suspend to ram is happening, no Power off. I can, of course, leave this black screen mode by simply hitting whatever key, and come back to the normal screen. But what I want, is that the laptop goes to suspend after some more minutes, and then suspends to disk. Because this option does not exist, I was hoping that at the least the suspend to ram and the poweroff would work, but they don't (in this automatic mode...).
    I succeded at the least the suspend2ram thing after the black screen. For this,
    I had to configure the
    Autosuspend
    tab and enter
    suspend to ram after 1 min
    In this configuration, the laptop suspends to ram one minute after the black screen turns up.
    It does not, however, suspend to disk or power off automatically after this suspend to ram.

Did I misunderstand something? Is this
    Screen Saver and DPMS
    not proposing the actions i would like to configure?
    And does this not contradict the
    Autosuspend
    thing?
    And how can I configure the laptop to go to black screen, then to suspend, and then to power off (or suspend to disk?)
    Thanks, Bjoern

Re: kpowersave display power management following inactivity

Hi,

It's quite nice all what you got working on it... Congratulations
    Did you try to make it to suspend immediatly after 2 minutes of inactivity, without going to blank screen ? I think it's because when it's in blank screen, it just can't do anything more before you take an action... Maybe I'm wrong

Good luck

Comment

No, I didn't try this.
      But, as I wrote, the suspend2ram works, after the blank screen kicks in, which
      seems to suggest that actions are taken after the blank screen activation.
      It only happens, though, if you enable the autosuspend thing.
      What does not happen, however, is a power off after that.
      I do have to admit that it seems odd that the kpowersave configuration permits
      to choose this, thinking that I don't know how the machine wants to shut down when it is
      already in suspend2ram mode. But as the checkbox exists, someone must have had
      his/her ideas when programming this, isn't it?

Comment

Ok, I think I understand better... In fact you would like your computer to switch after when it's in suspend2ram yes ?
        If yes, the trouble is that you would need to start it up and the make suspend2disk you see ?
        Maybe you should try to wait few minutes and without passing through suspend2ram, go directly to suspend2disk...
        Or maybe if you really need this feature open a feature request for this package to the maintainer.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by bjrnfrdnnd
          Is this Screen Saver and DPMS not proposing the actions i would like to configure?
          And does this not contradict the Autosuspend thing?
          No to both questions.
          The settings you are talking about are only for your monitor (DPMS stands for Display Power Management Signaling, see more here).
          Autosuspend is what you are looking for.

Originally posted by bjrnfrdnnd
          And how can I configure the laptop to go to black screen, then to suspend, and then to power off (or suspend to disk?)
          Not possible because of the way Linux does suspend, the computer is unaware of most stuff when it is suspended. I don't know how Windoze handles this, but in Linux, you can only go directly from black screen to power off/hibernate, no suspend in between.

Comment

Working...
          X