X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept Database locked...

Hi,

I've searched this forum and everything I've found 'til now isn't working for me!! This is the error :

Code:
    Read Only mode : Database Locked - Adept Manager

You will not be able to change your system settings in any way (Install, remove or upgrade software), because another process is using the packaging system database (probably some other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude). Please close the other application before using this one.
    I've enable all the deb and deb-src. I've tried logging in with the command kdesu adept. I've searched for the "maybe" locked file adeptsr (if my memory is good) in /home/#myname/.kde/share/config and nothing's working!! All I remember is that when I tried to install Apache2, there was an error. It's probably that process that's keeping the database locked.

Thanks for any help!

Peter

PS : I wont be able to test anything until tomorow evening. Waking up at 5AM and coming back from work and gym around 7PM. So don't think I'm not looking for your valuable cues! :P

UPDATE : Sorry this is the wrong place for that question since I'm using Kubuntu 6.06!! Sorry again! Is there a way to move it?!

Re: Adept Database locked...

What that message usually means is that some program has locked your package cache and then exited abnormally so that it failed to unlock the lockfile. This is usually Adept's fault. Unless, of course, you still have one of the package management programs open.

The quick and dirty fix for this is to delete the relevant lock files, /var/cache/apt/archives/lock, /var/lib/lists/lock, var/lib/dpkg/lock. Don't worry, they (usually) come back the next time you run a package manager. My advice is to switch to Synaptic. As soon as you get package management back, run "sudo apt-get install synaptic" from a konsole. To my mind, Adept is the single biggest mistake in the Kubuntu distribution.

Comment

ok thanks I'll try this! I'll come back later to tell you if it has worked! I guess it will be my fault if it doesn't!

Peter

Comment

I thank everyone who tried to help me. Alas, nothing worked for me until I found this command :

Code:
        sudo dpkg --configure -a
        That solved everything! It told me what was the problem and terminated the wrong doing program!

So my hopes are again high for Kubuntu! :P

Peter

Comment

hey peterxmas i have a similar problem but your code isn't helping me, was there anything else you did?

Comment

oh and i forgot, askrieger, how would i remove the broken files. you see i've only been on Kubuntu (or any form of Unix for that matter) for three days so i busted out my noobie shirt

Comment

There was a typo in peterxmas' message. The konsole command that you should have given was
              Code:
              sudo dpkg --configure -a <--- NOTE THE 'r'
              However, that will only work for you if you're problem is the same as his. Since you seem to know know that you have broken packages, I'm going to conjecture that you figured out the bit with the 'r' and got a message telling you that you had broken packages.

Fixing them is another story. The simplest way (when it works) is to start Synaptic, if you have it, and click on Custom>Broken then right click on a broken package and click remove. If luck and the Linux gods are with you that will solve your problem.

If you don't have Synaptic, try
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install --reinstall <Your-Broken-Package>
              Someone else will have to tell what, if anything, to do with Adept, I never touch it.

Comment

I use sudo top to kill the offending package.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                  My advice is to switch to Synaptic.........To my mind, Adept is the single biggest mistake in the Kubuntu distribution.
                  Whatever happened to Kynaptic? I wish Kubuntu would go back to that.

Paul

Comment

holy hell did i ever get lucky, adept needed an update, so i ran the problem and it fixed it self i think..... well rock on, but you bet i'll never close out of a package manager like that again :P

Comment

My advice is to switch to Synaptic.
                      To my mind, Adept is the single biggest mistake in the Kubuntu distribution.
                      Yeah ! you are right.
                      I have never been comfortable with adept.
                      But synaptic works like a charm.
                      Hope kubuntu developers get rid of adept and bring synaptic.

Comment

There was a typo in peterxmas' message. The konsole command that you should have given was
                        Code:
                        sudo dpkg --configure -a <--- NOTE THE 'r'
                        I had a "database Locked" dialogue box after trying to use Adept to remove some software and this piece of code worked a treat. I'm new to Linux and Kubuntu so have no idea why it worked or what caused the initial problem but certainly seems a good start point. All i did was open Konsule, entered the above code, restarted Adept and all is well.... I think...

Cheers.

Hope replying to this thread (as old as it is) is correct.

Comment

Working...
                        X