Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X settings: how to get 96dpi fonts on 1280x800?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X settings: how to get 96dpi fonts on 1280x800?

I've just installed Dapper and the fonts are just HUGE! Really really huge! I've checked out the X11 info app and it claims that the current fonts are 101dpi.

Is there a way to set up some smaller fonts? I've read that there are some nice 96dpi fonts out there. How can I configure X to use those types of fonts?

Re: X settings: how to get 96dpi fonts on 1280x800?

Are you REALLY running at 1280x800? Often, huge fonts are a result of excessively large pixels. You can verify your screen size by running "xrandr -q" in a Konsole. It will print out all of your possible screen sizes with an asterisk (*) at the one you're using.

Comment

Here's the output of that command

Code:
      rui@laptop:~$ xrandr -q
       SZ:  Pixels     Physical    Refresh
      *0  1280 x 800  ( 322mm x 201mm ) *60
       1  1024 x 768  ( 322mm x 201mm )  60
       2  800 x 600  ( 322mm x 201mm )  60
       3  640 x 480  ( 322mm x 201mm )  60
      Current rotation - normal
      Current reflection - none
      Rotations possible - normal
      Reflections possible - none
      I've just noticed that in the apt repositories there are only 100dpi and 75dpi fonts available. Is this a problem?

Comment

Well, the easy fix is out. You are running at 1280x800. Have you checked the font preferences in "SystemSettings>Appearance>Fonts>AdjustAllFont s"?
        I've just noticed that in the apt repositories there are only 100dpi and 75dpi fonts available. Is this a problem?
        It shouldn't be because you can change font sizes (as above).

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
          Well, the easy fix is out. You are running at 1280x800. Have you checked the font preferences in "SystemSettings>Appearance>Fonts>AdjustAllFont s"?
          I've already set the font size down to 10 and they all stay huge compared with my previous Kubuntu install. Just as an example, right now my current 10 font looks like a the previous 13 or 14 font. They are huge and taking a whole lot of real estate.

Comment

On my kubuntu machine the available font sizes go down to 4. Try a really drastic downsizing and see what that does for you.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
              On my kubuntu machine the available font sizes go down to 4. Try a really drastic downsizing and see what that does for you.
              I've switched everything to 7pt and 8pt fonts and everything is somewhat usable. Yet, there seems to be some consistency problems with some applications that do not use KDE's font configuration and instead use their pre-definitions. They keep on rendering huge fonts and the quick and dirty fix can't do nothing about them.

Isn't there another way to tweak the font sizes?

Comment

I just looked on the official Kubuntu Wiki: https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu for "font" in titles. I didn't find anything that seemed relevant to your problem, but you ought to look for yourself.

Comment

Working...
                X