This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

user settings being overridden by defaults

I just upgraded from Breezy to Dapper, and now I'm ahaving an issue.
    KDE will override my user settings with the defalts. It will not let me change system colors, icon size (the big ones look awful), change system sounds, etc.
    When I go into the control center and set things the way I like, all appropriate radio buttons/checkboxes indicate my settings are in effect... I hit Apply and nothing changes.

I appreciate a response. It's got me stumped and pissed off. I'm just about ready to downgradeback to Breezy if there is not a solution for this.

Thanks!
    <br />

Re: user settings being overridden by defaults

That's strange, as there has been no complaints regarding that recently. Were you able to upgrade completely without any problems?

By any chance, did you run KControl or System Settings as root?
    Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Yeah, the update went cleanly. No issues with anything at all... untill I discovered it won't apply my settings.

I've tried kcontrol as both my normal account and as root, with the same results.
      I ended upgrading to KDE 3.53 to see if that'd take care of any issues. Nope. Same problem. This is really stumping me.
      <br />

Comment

I've had something similar but wasn't critical to me so I never have poasted anything on it. But yes, when I try to change the default screen shut off time under power savings, it always defaults back to 30 minutes no matter how I set it, Root or not. This is the only place that I've seen the kind of problem. As far as screen color settings and font settings, it has been able to keep those. So it sounds as though it is a "random" problem that effects in wide varying degree. I hope this post helps some in tryking to track the problem.

Comment

@novgrod: I'm stumped, too.

@MoonRise: I think what you're experiencing is a bug. It has been filed in bugs.kde.org already I think. Have you tried changing the power saving settings then restarting the computer (don't just log out)? I also experience that problem, but it suddenly disappeared.
          Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

If the permissions on your config files have somehow changed, one thing to try is to make sure all your config files have proper ownership.

in a konsole window as your normal sudo user:
            sudo chown -Rv <your-username> ~/.kde
            this command will change the ownership of your kde config files back to the proper user, if they have are not correct already, which is one possible reason for your problem

Comment

Thanks for the info. Yes, I have done that only because I made other changes at the time for the Log On Screen and wanted to see the change. The Power Saving went back to default. Like I said, this was no biggie, I thought it may have been related here. Sorry for that.

Comment

chown didn't do jack (in terms of my problem) when I ran it yesterday... problems remained

Strangely, when I got home from work and booted up, all my settings were mysteriously the way I wanted... even sounds. So I decided to see if this was localized or it fixed itself system-wide.
                In my normal account, all is perfect. In my guest account, all is perfect. But root is still having the issue. Any thoughts on why this could be?
                I don't really use root often enough for it to be an issue, but now it's bothering me knowing that the issue is still there.
                <br />

Comment

as the root account is disabled by default, I would imagine that is part of the issue.

Comment

However, you can still control the appearance/theme of the root account by launching kcontrol/system settings as root. Then whenever you launch any GUI-based app as root, there will be a difference between those you run as a normal user.

I find this useful to provide a visual reminder that you are running as root and shold be extra careful.
                    Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
                      However, you can still control the appearance/theme of the root account by launching kcontrol/system settings as root. Then whenever you launch any GUI-based app as root, there will be a difference between those you run as a normal user.

I find this useful to provide a visual reminder that you are running as root and shold be extra careful.
                      Yeah... root used to be like normal before I upgraded.
                      *sigh* I can live with it, even though it's still gnawing at me as to why this happened.

Of course even tho I enabled root, I always use different colors, different wallpapers and different sounds so there is no mistaking what account I'm in.

Well, if I figure out the cause, I'll post it here.
                      <br />

Comment

Working...
                      X