This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stream dvd isos from server - how?

I have a home LAN with one PC setu for file storage, and includes dvd isos of some movies.

I want to be able to watch these movies on my desktop pc.

Under Win XP I can load a virtual DVD drive and then merely open the iso via Samba and watch the movie in VLC.

How do I do this in Kubuntu (Dapper)? Can I somehow create a "virtual dvd drive"? If I just try opening the iso/mpg/mp3 etc it is first transferred to /tmp on the Desktop PC, which is not what I want.

Thanks

Bill

Re: Stream dvd isos from server - how?

You should be able to do it with Samba. If you want a GUI, you might check out linneighborhood ( i used to use this on Mandrake, years ago), or smb4k.

Comment

thanks for the reply askreiger.

I'm trying to avoid Samba as I have no need to connect to Windows.

Supposedly can be done with VLC but seems excessively complicated, plus server must be set-up to stream over network.

THere must be an easier way whereby I can just use say konqueror and fish:// or such to access the iso on the server and have it play on the desktop pc.

Am still googling but haven't found answer yet.

Bill

Comment

You could set up a NFS share, and then just mount the share and watch your movies. as to creating a vitual dvd drive # mount <foo>.iso /home/<user>/<bar> -oloop,ro where foo is the name of the iso ,user is your username and bar is the mount point .

Richard

Comment

thanks drahcir,

actually I've tried opening the remote pc directory (of iso files) on my Client PC using Konqueror and "fish://remote-pc-ip" , logging in and then right clicking an iso and selectiong "mount iso" (Kiso is installed on client). Bombs out with permissions error, even though user-name is same on both pc's. Will have to check that out further.

Have found out that apparently VLC doesn't handle DVD ( and therefore dvd iso) menus, and from what I can determine, only Xine does so. Answer is apparently to just rip movie from DVD without menus and extras.

Mpegs work fine as streams for VLC.

Thanks

Bill

Comment

Working...
          X