X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie DVD creation.

Hi

I have some camcorder footage which with Kino I have exported to mpeg2 format. I did originally try the "DVD" option but found that the resulting files were hugwe and a DVD would have given me only 1 hour of film. Some questions please:

1. Is the best capture option "Raw"?
    2. Will the MPEG2 format transfer OK to DVD?
    3. Is there any DVD authoring software that will enable me to create a disk with a menu on it so that I can choose which one of the 4 mpegs which are all relatively short and which wil all fit onto 1 DVD? I have looked at the KDE-supplied package which whilst looking capable of doing this unfortunately gives no guidance on how it is done.

Thanks

Ian

Re: Movie DVD creation.

DVD-quality video *is* huge. About an hour is what you can expect to fit onto a writable DVD at standard quality (remember commercial DVDs are dual-layer).

Best capture option? It depends on what you mean by "best". Best quality? Raw doesn't lose anything, as the name suggests. Best for disk space? No.

DVD standard is MPEG2 (and, for PAL, 720x576 resolution) - but if you mean "can I just copy the MPEG file over to a DVD and then play it", then no. You will need some proper DVD-authoring package - and unfortunately, that's as far as my knowledge goes. There are a few such packages in the repositories, but the only ones I've brushed with have been commandline ones that look fairly tricky.

Comment

Re: Movie DVD creation.

Thanks for that. The primary limitation on size will be for the finished product. It makes sense for that to be about an hour for DVD. The DV files will be deleted once I am happy with the finished DVD of course.

In common with many folk, my camcorder footage tends to be fairly short films so it would be nice to fit 3 or 4 on one DVD. I will give kmediafactory a go.

Ian

Comment

Working...
      X