X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu multimedia box

Hi all

So, I decided to create a portable multimedia player from my P4 Evo notebook. You know, to keep the kids happy at the back of the car or watch a movie on the train... etc.
    So far so good.
    Installed Kubuntu and added some multimedia repositories.
    I can play just about anything using either KMplayer, Kaffeine and Amarok.... so far so good.

But, my problem is video backing up.
    The laptop's drive does not support UDMA which means that DVD playing is, well..... painful. So I thought what the hell, I will just rip and shrink the movies, Watch them on that particular jurney or free afternoon in the garden and then get rid.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good 'rip and encode to DIVX or XVID' how-to ?

Just as background, I have tried to use 'Drip' which rips but painfuly slow and I could not get to encode to DIVX or XVID. I can see the 'Record' option in KMplayer but did not manage to convert anything.

Help?

Re: Kubuntu multimedia box

Have your tried dvd:
    http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/

Code:
    sudo apt-get install dvdrip
    It's got a nice GUI.

Heres a quick tutorial:
    http://www.pcquest.com/content/linux/2005/105021001.asp

Comment

Re: Kubuntu multimedia box

Thanks acidphex

I completely forgot about DVD::Rip.
      Thanks for the reminder.

I will try later today and see.... 8)

Any other suggestions will be greatfully received...

Comment

Re: Kubuntu multimedia box [UPDATE]

Well...

I am afraid this did not work.
        For some reason, I can see DVD::Rip in adept but when I expand it and request install it reports a potential Break.
        When I look under details it shows that there is a conflict.
        Unfortunately I am writing from work (WinXP) so I cannot quote the exact conflict details (it is something alon the lines of - DVDRip <====(5.00 - 8.00)).

Something like that.....

So, at the moment, I am trying to go the MPlayer, Mencode, Acidrip route.

Will keep informed.....

Comment

Working...
        X