This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install Skype in Kubuntu 6.06

I am a newbie and just installed Kubuntu 6.06 LTS on my Compaq Presario 5000 and tried to install Skype. Everything looks fine until I launch the application from K menu > Internet > Skype, The hour glass icon rotating in the panel and the small Skype logo bouncing happily at the cursor about 3 seconds. Then every things are gone, no windows coming up, icon in panel gone, just nothing.

I install Skype by adding the line in /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free

Then:

root@xxxxxxx:~# apt-get update

root@xxxxxxx:~# apt-cache show skype
    Package: skype
    Version: 1.2.0.18-2
    Priority: extra
    Section: non-free/net
    Maintainer: Skype Technologies <info@skype.net>

root@xxxxxxx:~# wget http://www.skype.com/download/skype/...public-key.asc
    root@xxxxxxx:~# apt-key add rpm-public-key.asc
    OK

root@xxxxxxx:~# apt-get install skype
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 7906kB of archives.
    After unpacking 9160kB of additional disk space will be used.
    WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
    Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
    Get:1 http://download.skype.com stable/non-free skype 1.2.0.18-2 [7906kB]
    Fetched 7906kB in 3m2s (43.4kB/s)
    Selecting previously deselected package skype.
    (Reading database ... 72870 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking skype (from .../skype_1.2.0.18-2_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up skype (1.2.0.18-2) ..

Please help,

1) Where did I go wrong?
    2) The apt-key add rpm-public-key.asc give me a OK verbose but install still give me the authentication warning.

Thank you.

Re: Install Skype in Kubuntu 6.06

Hey zack, I'm a newbie to Kubuntu as well (coming from SUSE) so my 2cents may not help much but anyway:

First: My Skype does the same thing (and it did it in SUSE too) but if I am really patient i eventually get the window where you have to enter your login data.

My installation was however different I just downloaded the file on a local directory (home) and then right clicked on it and chose Kubuntu Package menu>Install package. That's all. I could not remember the entire procedure you did so I gather you dispose of more neurons than I do.

Another simple method which I did not try yet may be to add the same line:

..in Adept and then Apply changes and just install Skype with Adept (type skype in the search field). I assume it should work.

Try these versions or wait fore someone more experienced to get you out of this hole.

And as a final note: In case you did not know already, Skype is really a waste. I found that while I was using Suse. Wengo is a much better choice and it's open source. Also Twinkle is a SIP solution which works in ALSA and with version 0.7.1 is nearly perfect. both twinkle and wengo can be installed with Adept in a jiffy.

Take care.

Comment

Thanks metricus, need to understand more:

Code:
      First: My Skype does the same thing (and it did it in SUSE too) but if I am really patient i eventually get the window where you have to enter your login data.
      How did you eventually get it work?

Code:
      ..in Adept and then Apply changes and just install Skype with Adept (type skype in the search field). I assume it should work.
      I don't think I have more neurons than you do but simply desperate. I really like Adept, I wish there is a dialog box on Adept I can cut and paste the deb source on it and click a botton "Update". But there are none yet. I did update the apt cache by comand line apt-get update. The result doesn't reflect in Adept and I cannot search skype inside Adept. It is not there.

Code:
      And as a final note: In case you did not know already, Skype is really a waste. I found that while I was using Suse. Wengo is a much better choice and it's open source. Also Twinkle is a SIP solution which works in ALSA and with version 0.7.1 is nearly perfect. both twinkle and wengo can be installed with Adept in a jiffy.
      I'll seriously check these out. The reason I am moving to Kubuntu is the believe in open source. Going back to Skype should not be in my direction.

Anyway, thanks a lot.

Comment

How did you eventually get it work?
        Just worked after the install method I described. After a lot of bounces it eventually starts.
        I wish there is a dialog box on Adept I can cut and paste the deb source
        Your wish was granted: There is!
        Just copy/paste the string (or similar): (not just the link, but the whole text!)
        in the add section at the bottom of adept. (I would show you a pic but my adept has locked as I said in another posting). To do this highlight the string with your mouse making sure you don't include spaces or other punctuation signs before/after the string then middle click in the add area of adept...then click "Add"
        And you will see that adept ads the repository in the list.
        Don't forget to click "apply" otherwise won't work. No need for any command line work.
        I'll seriously check these out.
        Wengo will be a great app once they finalise 2.0. Right now is in beta and only available as a binary archive and not rpm or deb. I don't know what to do with binary archives....
        Twinkle is great. version 0.7.1 which is not avail in the Kubuntu repo is superb. Works natively in ALSA sound and one can get different sip accounts depending on the country called (calls tempt to be cheaper if the provider is in the country callled).
        It will eventually have a feature to show presence (like skype shows if your contacts are online)

Comment

I am attaching snapshots on how the skype repository was added as described and how skype appears in Adept for installation
          Attached Files

Comment

Silly me, I always open Adept from K menu > Add/Remove Programs, that would open Adept Installer. That is why I didn't see everything like you told me. Yes, now I can see that by K menu > System > Adept and open Adept Manager instead.

I did a purge on Skype and re-Install it again in Adept, it doesn't work. I purge it again and found the package is still in /var/cache/apt/archives/skype_1.2.0.18-2_i386.deb I right clicked on it and chose Kubuntu Package menu>Install package  and install it. The behaviour is still the same.

Actually I believe both the menu install and Adept install are the front end for apt-get. I am repeating myself on the same path without going anywhere. There might be some config info left in some files that purge or remove cannot erase and lead me back to the same problem.

But I do appreciate your help and thank you again.

Comment

I did not find the use for that Adept installer and my good friend from canada had the same problem trying Kubuntu and thinking that this is the only way to install a package. So there must be something wrong with the layout and the way they named those apps.

Back to skype: sorry it doesn't fire up. I could only suggest to try the forum at Skype. I would look into trying to get a verbose feedback while launching skype from a console. I did try a skype -h and - help but there was nothing. See if they can tell you how to determine where it hangs.

My wild guess is that it has something to do with the sound system. It is known that this version has big problems with sound. They promissed they will come up with an alsa version last year but it seems that it's not going to happen soon.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X