This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help! Idiot shot self in foot.

I'm running out of ideas here, but one you could try is giving me the output of nslookup kubuntuforums.net from within windows.

Comment

c:\>nslookup kubuntuforums.net
      DNS request timed out.
      timeout was 2 seconds.
      *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.1: Timed out
      Server: nsp-ba1.interbusiness.it
      Address: 85.37.17.49

Non-authoritative answer:
      Name: kubuntuforums.net
      Address: 66.135.37.25

As you can clearly see, there's this server thing now nsp... but it doesn't show up on the ipconfig, only the homenet...blablabla does

Comment

Aha. Your windows machine isn't using the same nameserver.
        You can probably fix the config of the DNS server to provide in DHCP requests in your router (which should make your windows networking faster too, since it won't be waiting 2 seconds for 192.168.1.1 to time out before trying the working nameserver each time).

Failing that, you can edit /etc/resolv.conf and add a line:
        nameserver 85.37.17.49
        above the existing nameserver line.

Comment

First of all the system resets the resolv.conf automaticly, and second, how is it possible that it used to work with those settings but not anymore?

Comment

Looking at /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-script, it looks like it should keep any old nameserver entries you had in there. If not, /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf looks like it could take a:

prepend domain-name-servers 85.37.17.49;

line. As for how it to be like this, I don't know. I prefer to troubleshoot by looking at what appears to be working/broken now, rather than how it got like that.

(Note that I've not tested whether the nameserver entries are retained, or whether that prepend line would work, because my dhcp set up is working, and I'd like it to stay that way )

Comment

Ok, it's working now, I inserted those nameservers from within the grafical app in the system settings. It seems there's no changing of resolv.conf for now.

I would really like to know what happened but I'm happy that it's finally working.

Marble, a million thanks for your help!

p.s - should I use the firestarter again or what? I'm using progs like azureus and stuff that always complain about blocked ports....

Comment

For azureus, you'll need to configure your router to forward ports 6880-6889 to your machine. This is something that needs to be done on the router though, not the machine you're running azureus on though.

I wouldn't worry too much about having a firewall on the ubuntu box for two reasons:
                1. You're behind a NATting router, so someone would have to hack into that first, then get from there to your ubuntu machine.
                2. You're running (k)ubuntu, so the only globally open ports will be the ones you've deliberately opened (such as by running azureus).

Comment

Working...
                X