X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software installation

Hi all!

I couldnt figure out how to use online software installation with Kubuntu 6.06. On the news I read about Ubuntu, I saw that it is possible to connect and get/search a huge list of available applications and install them with one click. Is that also possible with Kubuntu? Or is it possible but doesnt come integrated? I am looking forward to use that

Other issue is about fonts. Fonts look crappy on windows, and I want to see clear fonts. Is that because Kubuntu didnt recognize my display adapter (Intel extreme onboard) or do I have to install/change something? Oe maybe other themes? I love mac look and feel

I wanna use that system, but smooth look and easy software installation is quite important. If these dont work, I will pass to Ubuntu I will be happy to get ur ideas.

cheers!

Re: Software installation

For installing stuff, here's the documentation from the Kubuntu wiki pages:
    https://wiki.kubuntu.org/InstallingSoftware

It contains instructions for both Ubuntu and Kubuntu. They basically have the same processes of installing software, just different applications to do it.

You might also want to try another way of installing software, using the command line: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware.php

Regarding fonts, I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

About the video adapter, If Ubuntu was able to correctly detect your video, Kubuntu also will, since they both use the same underlying component that handles all graphical stuff, the X server.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Thanx man ,that link is better than the other I have found! I will try that at home and see if I can figure it out!

My adapter is Intel 845 GV 3D, Kubuntu saw that as Vesa. That may be a problem, I am searching for drivers now. I think this is also the reason why I cant figure, how to set my display to 32bit out. Menus are not quite similar to Windows, takes time for me to find

Comment

Originally posted by necokop
        Hi all!

I couldnt figure out how to use online software installation with Kubuntu 6.06. On the news I read about Ubuntu, I saw that it is possible to connect and get/search a huge list of available applications and install them with one click. Is that also possible with Kubuntu? Or is it possible but doesnt come integrated? I am looking forward to use that

Other issue is about fonts. Fonts look crappy on windows, and I want to see clear fonts. Is that because Kubuntu didnt recognize my display adapter (Intel extreme onboard) or do I have to install/change something? Oe maybe other themes? I love mac look and feel

I wanna use that system, but smooth look and easy software installation is quite important. If these dont work, I will pass to Ubuntu I will be happy to get ur ideas.

cheers!

For making KDE look & behave like OS X see this,
        http://linuxgangster.org/modules.php...warticle&id=15
        To install from the net repos use Adept, K > System > Adept

Comment

Working...
        X