This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

p2p options

I was used with Limewire before (in SUSE) but I never appreciated its GUI design since it was not a KDE look.

I read through some old postings and saw references to apollon which looks good but seems to have trouble finding GifT. (it's installed) See attached snapshot.

What are my best options with p2p in Dapper? I am open to all suggestions. Or maybe could u tell me what's the scoop with Apollon?

As a last resource: Where can I get a Limewire for Kubuntu?
    Attached Files

Re: p2p options

I'm new to Kubuntu too (from Suse)

have you tried frostwire (Limewire)? it works great for me
    with a version for Ubuntu/Debian
    ASUS M2A-VM HDMI Motherboard<br />AMD Athlon 64 X2Dual Core Processor 5400+<br />Nvidia Geforce 7950 GX2 Graphics<br />500Gb Hard Drive<br />Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy 64 Bit.

Comment

seems that I'm not the only one fed-up with SUSE.
      Never heard about Frostwire. will Google. Thanks...

I am looking for something 100% KDE and I tried further Apollon and managed to get it to login to Gnutella and OpenFt. but it just seems it has all sorts of problems. I tried some downloads and they just don't start.
      What I also find annoying is that it does not display the connection type like Limewire does. I never bothered dloading from anything less than T1.

Comment

I use Apollon and think that its better than any previous p2p, including Limewire. My use of P2P goes back to the good old days. Just ensure you download and install GiFT and run gift-setup. The defaults for the setup are designed to ensure you read the entire list. If you use the defaults gift will not set up.

Comment

Originally posted by metricus
          [b]seems that I'm not the only one fed-up with SUSE[b]
          Never heard about Frostwire. will Google. Thanks...

I am looking for something 100% KDE and I tried further Apollon and managed to get it to login to Gnutella and OpenFt. but it just seems it has all sorts of problems. I tried some downloads and they just don't start.
          What I also find annoying is that it does not display the connection type like Limewire does.  I never bothered dloading from anything less than T1.
          Same here rug/zenworks thing screwed up in 10.1
          Try KTorrent for torrents, it is cool, it has a search feature built-in which I haven't seen in any other Bittorrent client.
          Theres nictoine but it is in GTK and valknut which is a QT/KDE app that uses the DC network ... but it is ugly

Comment

For some reason I did not get notification on your posts. Weird. Yes, I do have the "notify me of replies" checked by default.

Thank you guys. I almost forgot I had this posted.

I am still struggling on it. I will try more Appolon and Kmldonkey. They seem good and looking good since they are pure K. I must be missing something though since I can't get them to fire-up.

Need to spend more time on this.

Comment

What i did is install Wine and use Shareaza (best p2p anyway) and it works just fine.

Comment

Working...
              X