This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Java 5 not avail in Add/Remove, Adept or Synaptic

I've got a fresh install of Kubuntu 6.06 on my machine and, contrary to all the advice on the wiki about there being an install option for Java 5 jre/sdk in Add/Remove Programs, Adept and Synaptic, it is not listed anywhere. I've activated all repositories in my sources file and done an update. I also tried to install the java package directly from the command line and it says it can't find it. Any ideas?

Signed,
    Frustrated in New York

Re: Java 5 not avail in Add/Remove, Adept or Synaptic

The package names are sun-java5-jdk (development kit) and sun-java5-jre (runtime environment). They are both found in the multiverse repositories. I'm not sure if multiverse is included by default in the repositories. You can add them by adding the "multiverse" after "universe" with a space in between. Something like this:
    Code:
    deb [url]http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] dapper universe multiverse 
    deb-src [url]http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] dapper universe multiverse
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Yup. I did all this and they do not show up.

Comment

Ok, I logged out and logged back in. Now it is showing up in Synaptic, but still not Add/Remove Programs or Adept. I will try to install from Synaptic.

Comment

I forgot to mention, in Add/Remove Programs, you have to check the "unsupported" option to display packages from universe, and "proprietary software" to display packages from multiverse. The options are found at the upper-right corner of the window. You also have to choose "Any Suite" rather than "KDE". (The one on the upper-left area).

I'm quite puzzled, though, that it doesn't show up in Adept. Are you talking about the real, main, complete Adept (Not Adept Updater, not Adept Installer)?
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Working...
          X