This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: scanner not working after upgrade to Dapper

Apparently that module was removed in kernel 2.6.4, so now you must use libusb instead.

I've done some poking around, and found that there's also a /dev/bus/usb like /proc/bus/usb on ubuntu, so maybe you need to check permissions there too. Also, there's /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf which should have a line like:
    usb 0x04b8 0x0116

(Not usb /dev/usb/scanner0)

Comment

I'll look into it but I will be away for a few days so I'll report back on my success (or not) when I return. Thank you for your expertise and time in helping me to figure out what 's going on.

Comment

I will jump in this discussion since I have recently moved to Kubuntu from SUSE and I have a 3170 P Photo as well. I did not try to install it yet as I had other priorities but:

Someone said it is not supported by sane. Slightly wrong. the 3170 should work just fine.

I used suse 9.3 and kooka worked with the 3170 perfectly. There was however something wrong there too since with newer suse versions there were some issues with Kooka and 3170 but the scanner still worked fine with Iscan. I did not explore the issue so I can't give details.

I wanted to ask in this forum what could we do to have the Iscan package included in the repositories. There seems to be a source there on the epkowa.jp site so it should be feasible.
        I will follow this discussion as I am interested in the setup method myself.

Comment

I'll wager this is a udev issue. *buntu kindly removed all the useful udev documentation, for which I have filed a bug report. First of all you want to find out if your system sees the scanner at all, then if you need to be root to use it:

Code:
          $ lsusb
          Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04B8:0819 Seiko Epson Corp.
          Good so far. Now try:

Code:
          $ scanimage -L
          No scanners were identified. (etc blah blah)
          Now as root:

Code:
          $ sudo scanimage -L
          password:
          Device `epson:libusb:003:003' is a Epson Unknown Model flatbed scanner
          So the USB subsystem recognizes the scanner just fine, but only root can make scans.

You can run Kooka as root and do scans just fine. However, to run as an ordinary user means you need to edit /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules. The old chmod a+x /proc/bus/usb/003/003 trick doesn't work with udev.

When you examine the /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules I think it's pretty clear how to add a line for your own scanner, using the information from lsusb.

I wish that *buntu had seen fit to not remove all the helpful udev docs, and that there was a scanner installation script that automatically detected scanners and wrote an entry in 45-libsane.rules.

This page is very helpful for understanding udev:

http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

Comment

~$ lsusb
            Bus 005 Device 003: ID 10df:0500 In-Win Development, Inc.
            Bus 005 Device 004: ID 04b8:0116 Seiko Epson Corp.
            Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
            Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:0104 Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 880c/970c
            Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
            Bus 004 Device 002: ID 045e:0014 Microsoft Corp. Digital Sound System 80
            Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
            Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
            Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
            ~$ scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
            check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
            sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
            which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
            ~$ sudo scanimage -L
            Password:
            device `epson:libusb:005:004' is a Epson  flatbed scanner
            ================
            So far it works exactly as you said.

However, I made the modif in 45-libsane.rules:
            # Epson Corp.|Perfection 3170 Photo
            SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0116", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner

and even after reboot nothing changed. Scanimage -L brings the same message out.

I do agree that there should be an automated Scanner setup method in Kubuntu.

Modification:
            Well, it's funny, after posting I noticed some missing " at the end of the string and I checked and found that I did miss the " in the added string in 45-rules. Did a reboot and now Kooka can access the scanner in user mode.
            Thank you.

PS: there is still a small problem:
            It still doesn't move the scanner. I assume however it is because the driver is not installed yet...

I still have to see how to install epkowa.

Comment

OK, I installed iscan but this did not change a thing.

To mention here that I was getting the same error as ainsaur:
              X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
                Major opcode:  145
                Minor opcode:  3
                Resource id:  0x0
              Failed to open device
              =====
              then fixed it by commenting out the wacom entries in xorg.conf

Now the scanner still does not fire up:

~$ kooka
              libkscan: WARNING: Trying to copy a not healthy option (no name nor desc)
              libkscan: WARNING: Trying to copy a not healthy option (no name nor desc)
              ScimInputContextPlugin()
              ~ScimInputContextPlugin()

and if I type iscan i get this:

Small note: my Kubuntu is not an update but fresh installed yesterday from dvd.
              Attached Files

Comment

Also my experience is exactly like yours !
                I have an Epson Stylus DX3800 (all-in-one) and it was working fine with Mandriva2006
                Now I have Kubuntu Dapper and I can not scan. I have the same error !
                Alpa

Comment

Yes, it appears to be an *ubuntu issue. Maybe someone with more experience could give us a push here...please.

So far the only valuable information which also made a difference was the one from alrac which has enabled any user to use the scanner and not only the root. However, I get the same messages whether I am root or user.

Changing permissions to proc/bus/usb/xxx/xxx (like was suggested earlier in the thread) does not help since at different boot times the system allocates different addresses to the scanner. now it's at 001/004. before was at 005/006.
                  Also changing the epkowa.conf file does not help. The usb entry is enough one does not need to force the backend to look at 04b8:0116

That's all I know so far

Comment

OK I cleared it up:

3170 is NOT supported by SANE therefore all attempts to make Kooka and other programs scan with this scanner will fail, AFAIK.

It can work however in Linux but only with ImageScan for Linux which a proprietary software from Epson.
                    So to get it going you may uninstall sane, xsane and even kooka and libkscan. And most importantly you MUST uninstall libsane-extras.

The only sane package you need is libsane.

Then download:
                    iscan-2.0.0-0.c2.i386.rpm and
                    iscan-plugin-gt-9400-1.0.0-1.c2.i386.rpm
                    http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_scan.html
                    by completing the required fields
                    and then convert the rpm binaries to deb using Alien as instructed in the kubuntu wiki:
                    https://wiki.kubuntu.org/RPM/AlienHo...ht=%28alien%29
                    install the 2 deb files in any order and then start ImageScan with the command iscan

Please note that the modifications to /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules, as suggested by alrac, are not needed in this case. AFAIK the reason this scanner is not on that 45-libsane.rules file, is because it is not supported by SANE.

My 3170 works now but only with Iscan. I am planning however to sell it on EBay cuz I had enough problems with it in Linux and purchase a Canon Lide or something that is well supported by SANE. I don't use the film scanning feature anyway..

metricus

Comment

See my solution in thread

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=5987.0

Hope it helps someone else

Bill

Comment

I've done some poking around, and found that there's also a /dev/bus/usb like /proc/bus/usb on ubuntu, so maybe you need to check permissions there too. Also, there's /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf which should have a line like:
                        usb 0x04b8 0x0116

I have already changed the epkowa.conf file and added a line but there is no change. As for the /dev/bus/usb, how do I check permissions?

Comment

Type:
                          ls -l /dev/bus/usb/003/002 (or wherever the device is)
                          The first column should be something like crw-rw-r-- and the device should be in the 'scanner' group (4th column).

If the group is not scanner:

sudo chgrp scanner /dev/bus/usb/003/002

If the 5th-6th characters of the first column aren't 'rw':

sudo chmod 664 /dev/bus/usb/003/002

Comment

Here's the output:

crw-rw-r-- 1 root scanner 189, 641 2006-06-16 16:39 /dev/bus/usb/006/002

It looks like the permissions are set correctly but shouldn't the scanner be in my group (alex) instead of root? If so, how do I change the group to "alex"?

Comment

No, that's fine. The second 'rw' means the group can read/write it. The device is owned by root, but it's in the scanner group (ls -l lists type in the first char (c=character device file), permissions in the next 9 chars, then the number of hard links to the file (not usually that useful), owner, group, size, last modified time, name).

So long as you are in the scanner group, you can read/write it. You can be in multiple groups at the same time. Type 'groups' to see which groups you're in. You should find yourself in the scanner group, amongst others.

(Your entry in /etc/passwd determines your default group - ie. the one files you create are in if you don't go anything to change that, /etc/group determines other groups you're in.)

Comment

Okay, if the permissions are fine, then does anyone have any other suggestions? I am totally stumped!

Comment

Working...
                                X