This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok 1.4 Again and one other thing

OK.  Why is it that under Beta, I was able to install AMAROK 1.4 without "Breaking" it but under the Official release i'm having major problems?

Second - Does anybody know of a good GUI that will display information about Hard Drive usage?  specifically Space Use.  And does anybody know what packages I need to be able to "test" network configurations and such.  Specifically something like "PING".  Thanks!

Update: OK. Found that PING is a default for Dapper. What other Net tools are default?

Re: Amarok 1.4 Again and one other thing

Originally posted by MoonRise
    Second - Does anybody know of a good GUI that will display information about Hard Drive usage?  specifically Space Use. 
    A good hardware monitor is gkrellm. It can also be set up to show space usage on a file system.

To see the space distribution in a drive or folder you can also use konqueror. Go to View>View Mode and choose Filesize-View (might be called different, I have a non English KDE). It gives you a graphic overview on file and folder sizes.

Comment

1. amaroK: try checking if your universe repositories are enabled. I had a similar problem when I tried to upgrade amaroK in Dapper RC.

2. Try checking for the package filelight. It gives you a graphical representation of disk file usage. The default is that it shows the usage of each partition, but you can direct it to check out specific folders, for example /media/hda1. (Remember that Linux doesn't really see hard disks as disks but as files/folder, unlike Windows).

3. not sure about those. sorry.
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Thanks! Got Amarok 1.4 working.

No, I didn't know that about Linux and how it views HDs and such. i find that very interesting. I'll check everyones' suggestions on what to do.

At least I'm very pleased with Kubuntu. Even though my job is dealing with MS Servers and such, I've found this to be very easy to understand for a newbie to Linux. It has been very enjoyable learning and I've had great help right here in this forum. I've even started trying to get other people to switch. Thanks All!!

Comment

re: network management check out netstat I believe it's installed by default, but if not it's in the package net-tools. If you've been sysadmining M$server, you'll love it.

Comment

Thanks!

And yes I agree with the $ in M$server. Been doing this for 15 years. I'm really growing tired of MS. Figured I'd start at the Desktop level in Linux before going up to a Server type setup.

Comment

Working...
            X