This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

date resets when no network

My system's date resets to a wrong date and time if I boot my laptop (Dell Latitude D820) with no network connection. If I am networked, and reboot, the date/time reverts to the correct setting.

I suspect this is related to my installing ntp. I'm guessing that some subsystem ascertains that ntp can't work, so it will take over instead. And then that system does something stupid. It's as if a system that can do ntp caches the time in one place, and some non-ntp sytem caches the time somewhere else. But I'm just guessing...

Any clues out there?

Best and TIA.

-Ron-

Re: date resets when no network

Consider switching from ntp to adjtimex. It's specifically designed for laptops.
    This program gives you raw access to the kernel time variables. For a machine connected to the Internet, or equipped with a precision oscillator or radio clock, the best way to keep the system clock correct is with ntpd. However, for a standalone or intermittently connected machine, you may use adjtimex instead to at least correct for systematic drift. adjtimex can optionally adjust the system clock using the CMOS clock as a reference, and can log times for long-term estimation of drift rates.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I might have to do that.

While that might work better, I'd still like to see ntp work. I've run ntpd on many laptops previously; so I attribute the fact that it's not working on a misconfiguration problem with k/ubuntu rather than anything inherently wrong with ntp.

Comment

Its not just a laptop problem, my desktop has the same problem. If i reboot the time is always wrong, it seems to be set to utc time not my local time.

I have ntp enabled but it doesn't seem to connect or start at boot, i have to right click on the clock and reset the time.

don

Comment

If i reboot the time is always wrong, it seems to be set to utc time not my local time.
          Are you switching from windoze to Linux and back again? M$ sets your hardware real time clock to your local time zone. Whereas Linux assumes that your clock is set to UT. HEnce the confusion. There is a line in one of the /etc/*.conf files that tells Linux to assume the hardware clock is set to local time. Unfortunately, I can't remember which one. But, I believe you can fix it with the command "sudo tzconfig".

Found it! It's in /etc/default/RcS. Use "sudo nano /etc/default/RcS" or "kdesu kate /etc/default/RcS" to change "UTC=yes" to "UTC=UTC=no", if tzconfig doesn't do that for you.

Comment

Unfortunately, my problem is unrelated to the Windows/Linux UTC issue...

Best.

Comment

@yrp001: I was responding to dglock, that's why I quoted his message. My bad for not making that clear, sorry. I still think you'd be better off with adjtimex than ntp.

Comment

Working...
              X