This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gnome/gtk apps not working

I am having difficulty getting any gnome or gtk based apps to work in kubuntu, though the FAQ says they should. Of particular concern for me is gimp. When I run it, it complains of
    (gimp:5179): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_window_set_back_pixmap(): pixmap must have a colormap

The GUI is blacked out except for a few buttons, and the app does not respond to any input or signals--it requires a KILL (-9) to terminate the app. I believe there must be a library missing, but I cannot find it. I have installed the ubuntu (gnome) desktop in the hopes of acquiring the missing library. Is anyone else having this problem or have any suggestions?

Re: gnome/gtk apps not working

I have a similar issue.... I just installed Dapper and am having a problem installing easytag. Are gnome packages no longer supported?

Comment

It seems I have also similar problems since the upgrade.
      Gimp starts up and immediately terminates.
      Also Thunderbird is awfully slow in its screen updates, the slidebars are corrupted, it's even not workable.

Comment

The slidebars have been dodgy in Flight 7 already, I have been running F7 (awaiting completion of download of release CD) for a while now, and Thunderbird is functional, but the slidebars are dodgy and screen updates do seem very slow, so this is not only the latest release.....

Comment

From what I have found it should be a broken Gtk lib or something like that.
          I found also a 'solution' for it on http://www.freshports.org/x11-themes/gtk-qt-engine/
          This Suse thread points to the same:
          http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-l...-Feb/2140.html

But according to Adept I seem to have gtk2-engines_gtk-qt installed (version 0.6) ?

Comment

Still nobody has a solution for this ?
            Thunderbird is really not workable like this and The Gimp even less ...

Marc

Comment

Well, one hour after the previous message I got it finally solved myself by installing an upgrade of gtk2-engines_gtk-qt (0.60-2).
              Everything seems to be working back normally now.

Marc

Comment

Working...
              X