This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

audio doesn't work

I've just upgraded my system (kubuntu 5.10 breezy) to kubuntu 6.06 dapper but my audio system and my television don't work. I've tried to reinstall the alsa drivers but it's the same!! There's someone who know what can I do?

Re: audio doesn't work

Originally posted by davileo
    I've just upgraded my system (kubuntu 5.10 breezy) to kubuntu 6.06 dapper but my audio system and my television don't work. I've tried to reinstall the alsa drivers but it's the same!! There's someone who know what can I do?
    I had a similar problem with an SBLive 5.1 sound card.
    I first tried the Kubuntu desktop cd (the live one) and the sound worked - so I then did a fresh install using the Kubuntu alternate cd (I wanted to keep /home and wasn't sure if the desktop cd would let me) but still no sound :-(

I eventually found a solution (I don't know if it is *THE* solution as a new user account doesn't have any sound).
    Anyway, I opened up System Settings > System Services and enabled 'alsa-utils'. Now I have sound (actually I didn't until I enabled 'Full Duplex' under System Settings > Sound & Multimedia > Hardware).

For some strange reason under one account I can't get any volume control with Xmms !!??
    And when I create a new user account - there is no sound no matter what I try

Maybe there is a better solution........

Blessings,

Nigel
    It's not a problem - it's a learning opportunity!

Comment

Originally posted by nigelr
      I guess that's because you have to make the new user a member of the "audio" group in the user setup dialogue...

Comment

Originally posted by padre999
        Originally posted by nigelr
        I guess that's because you have to make the new user a member of the "audio" group in the user setup dialogue...
        Did that and cd etc. but still no sound
        It's not a problem - it's a learning opportunity!

Comment

Working...
        X