This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KMenu not updating until restart/edit

I've noticed that after I install (or uninstall) a program the program's menu entry does not get added (or removed) immediately. The menu entry does not appear (or disappear) until kde is restarted or I open kmenuedit and 'save' the menu. I never had this problem under Ubuntu/Gnome (Dapper, of course).

Is this a common bug or just an error on my end? Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Re: KMenu not updating until restart/edit

This is also a behavior that I've observed when installing non-KDE apps. But sometimes, I get lucky and non-KDE apps that I install get added immediately (the GIMP comes to mind). I'm beginning to think it's a bug, but reserve judging until I've searched thoroughly.

Another thing you could do to update K Menu without opening kmenuedit is to type this in a Run command dialog box (Alt+F2):
    Code:
    dcop kicker kicker restart
    It basically restarts the whole kicker application, which handles the panel/taskbars and K Menu. I'm can't guarantee it works 100% but it has worked fine on my end.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Interesting, thanks for the workaround.

Comment

Went ahead and filed this as a bug on launchpad (Bug #47790)

Comment

Sorry for the extra post, but just in case anyone else reads this: dcop kicker kicker restart did NOT work for me.

Comment

Working...
          X