X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adept trouble

i386 laptop

i use grub to boot
    when i boot with latest kernelimage, kubuntu hangs at second progressiongraphic.
    when i do ctrl+alt+del  all processes get closed as usual as the list scrolls down...

i'm able to boot from a previous kernelimage but :
    i'm not able to use adept : it complains another instance is running but when checking with top i can't notice anything. i don't use synaptic or apt.
    eventually adept will run but in read-only mode, i can't fetch or apply updates.

anyone ?

Cape

Re: adept trouble

I've got the same issue as far as adept is concerned. After typing my password it gives me the following message:

"You will not be able to change your system settings in any way (install, remove or upgrade software), because another process is using the packaging system database (probably some other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude). Please close the other application before using this one."

Any ideas?

Comment

my first issue (bootproblem) was fixed when booting in recoverymode
      after login :
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg 8)

i'm still strugglin with the adept-issue :
      it keeps telling me :

Another process is using the packaging system database (probably some other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude). Please close the other application before using this one.

Comment

try
        Code:
        sudo killall dpkg; sudo killall apt; sudo killall adept; sudo killall aptitude
        Or, remove the lock file from /var/cache/apt/archives (I think, I'm on Windows right now and can't check.)

edit: spelling and thanks to -cool-dud-prav for nudging me to put it into the right forum.
        <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

When using sudo killall dpkg; sudo killall apt; sudo killall adept; sudo killall aptitude it said no processes were killed.

How do I delete the lock file? I can't login as root... (I'm quite new to this stuff, sorry)

Comment

I tried everithing what you mentioned above. I tried to kill evrithing that you said. I deleted evry file in the /var/cache/apt direktory but it doesen't helped.
            I think it is keep saying that I can't change anything since i've rebooted the system during using adept... Maybe there is the problem...

Comment

try this : dpkg --configure -a
              it helped me.

Comment

I am having the exact same problem and none of the solutions so far have helped at all.

Comment

i had also a similar trouble with adept:
                  i wanted to install java and adept couldnt show the terms of condition for java the install didnt continue - so killed the installation. then i had the same trouble. what i did, was to install this package again with apt-get. from this point it was ok again.
                  the problem was, that dpkg was in action but invisible for me. i couldnt kill anything.
                  another issue could bethe updatetool which is maybe in use.

Comment

Originally posted by gandalf100
                    i wanted to install java and adept couldnt show the terms of condition for java the install didnt continue - so killed the installation. then  i had the same trouble. what i did, was to install this package again with apt-get. from this point it was ok again.
                    the problem was, that dpkg was in action but invisible for me. i couldnt kill anything.
                    me too and I get this :

Another process is using the packaging system database (probably some other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude). Please close the other application before using this one.

I tried the above suggestions, rebooted, shut off computer and still get that message............

Comment

Originally posted by gandalf100
                      i wanted to install java and adept couldnt show the terms of condition for java the install didnt continue - so killed the installation. then  i had the same trouble. what i did, was to install this package again with apt-get. from this point it was ok again.
                      I typed this: /var/cache/apt/archives into Konqueror and went to the sunjre icons and right clicked and clicked intaller and once i installed the jre packages adept went back to normal.

Comment

Working...
                      X