This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Administrator mode button in "System Settings" glitchy

I have noticed that in every version of dapper that I have tried -- I have used every flight and am now using the latest RC -- that clicking on the administrator mode button in System Settings is not always effective. 50% of the time clicking the button will prompt for a password, the other 50% of the time it will just hang.

Any ideas....

I used to also have this problem when loading Adept by clicking on the icon in the Kmenu... though it seems to work fine on Dapper RC.

Re: Administrator mode button in "System Settings" glitchy

This is NOT a fix, but it is a workaround. Right click on the desktop, click on "run command", enter "kdesu kcontrol", enter your USER password. Kcontrol, which is the non-Ubuntized version of System Settings will come up in Administrator mode.

Comment

Strange, as that's supposed to have been fixed in KDE 3.5.2.

Regarding Adept: Did you update anything? When I first installed Dapper RC and made the first few updates, Adept would not launch from the K Menu, something to do with su. Restarting the pc (not just logging out) seemed to solve it.
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Strange, as that's supposed to have been fixed in KDE 3.5.2.
        Indeed, and I haven't seen it in Breezy since I updated to 3.5.1 !

Comment

I have actually done the latest updates and have since rebooted. The System settings seems to be prompting for the password ever time now. So I guess that I just needed the latest updates.

By the way, I have installed to hard drive from the liveCD for the last 2 beta releases. I have always wondered if the install from the general Kubuntu installer CD and the LiveCD is 1 to 1. Are there any subtle differences that may be causeing the problem?

Love the live CD by the way -- though ndiswrapper installed by default would be nice.

Comment

I get the same issue. Although with mine the Administrator button in certain sections of the System Settings wouldnt _ever_ work. The rest would off and on, same for Adept and friends.

That was an upgrade from 5.10 using the upgrade proccess.

A fresh install so far hasnt failed once. (I am crossing my fingers)

Oddly enough, on a 5.10 (Installed as Ubuntu, installed kubuntu-desktop later), did the same thing when in trying to start synaptic.

Comment

Working...
            X