This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amaroK doesn't play AAC or even MP3's! Skype doesn't work either

I would really like to play my MP3's on amaroK, it's a great program, but if I try playing MP3's it just starts then goes right to the end of the track. I don't understand it :S. Is there anyway amaroK can also play AAC and M4A files too? OGG seems to work fine here but none of my music is that.
    I use the xine engine.

I would like to use Skype too, on Windows it worked fine with my soundcard. On here it says problem with sound device when I goto call someone.

Thanks.

Re: amaroK doesn't play AAC or even MP3's! Skype doesn't work either

This is because Ubuntu does not have support for propriety codecs/plugins out of the box (meaning installed by default). There are ways to enable them, as long as it is legal in your country to do so:

http://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats

Go to the section of MP3 and other restricted formats (like AAC, etc).
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Haven't been able to reply all day. Thanks very much, now I can play my music! . Problems in using collections in amaroK. xd.

Comment

This sucks!!!

Kaffeine and Amarok are switched to Xine by default, fine, BUT NO support for MP3s. This is a big drawback to Kubuntu success!

Use cases:
        My friend was tired or his Windows crashing all the time. I playfully suggested that he too could use Kubuntu, it's free. So my amazement my friend called me the same night that his Kubuntu looks great. I was really surprised, the guy had never heard the word Linux before.

Anyway, the problem with MP3s yes... I couldn't fix it, he couldn't, this libxine-extracodecs was nowhere to find (I didn't know to seek it directly too), at least in .fi repos, I enabled them all. After 2 days of usage he is back in Windows and swore never to use any Linuxes again!

Comment

Originally posted by tonihele
          Anyway, the problem with MP3s yes... I couldn't fix it, he couldn't, this libxine-extracodecs was nowhere to find (I didn't know to seek it directly too), at least in .fi repos, I enabled them all.
          It's available in 'fi' as well: http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...e-extracodecs/

The thing that is easy to miss that you have to actually add the word 'multiverse' after the references to 'universe' in the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list (just commenting them out or enabling them in adept isn't enough)

The only repository that already has 'multiverse' written on it is 'dapper-backports' which is of course empty at the moment.

I don't know why 'multiverse' isn't included in the 'universe' lines by default...as they are disabled anyway after installation, would make it a lot simpler to enable them.

After 2 days of usage he is back in Windows and swore never to use any Linuxes again!
          With a patience like that linux might not be the right choice for him...there is always a learning curve with linux (as with other OSs)

Comment

Well, it's because Ubuntu does not ship or include built-in support for restricted/propriety formats/codecs, such as MP3. This is not just a matter of policy, but legality as well. In some countries, it is not legal to use these codecs without the necessary licenses. (read the first paragraph of this wiki page).

That being said, it is absolutely true that there is no mp3 support in Ubuntu. Perhaps there are a few glitches in Dapper (version 6.06), but that's probably because it hasn't been officially released yet. In Breezy however, mp3 support is fine.

(Btw, the libxine-extracodecs thingy is for Dapper versions. Breezy versions use a different lib).

You can recommend your friend to try out other Linux distributions that have built-in support for propriety codecs, such as MEPIS or Knoppix.
            Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Oh yes, I just read the multiverse and thought I had it but yes, I needed to add it to the other line. Now Amarok rocks again! Thanks.

I'm aware that this situation is not because someone actually wants Dapper not to play MP3s. But would it be legal, since the installation asks you your location, to then install this package by default if the user is in country where you don't have to have the licence?

Comment

I'm aware that this situation is not because someone actually wants Dapper not to play MP3s. But would it be legal, since the installation asks you your location, to then install this package by default if the user is in country where you don't have to have the licence?
                Not really, since it's so easy to deceive the installer with regards to your location. Besides, it would be an added burden for the developers to find out each and every country's laws regarding this, and that would be extremely difficult to do.

It will also go against Ubuntu's philosophy/policy of what is included in the main (a.k.a. officially supported) repositories. Anyway, it's not that hard to install MP3 support post-installation. You just have to follow instructions very careful (and probably do a bit of searching).
                Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Hi all,

I have mp3 support in Dapper working in Amarok 1.4a just great, love amaroK, brilliant incredible program.
                  Some of my mp3's are older though and I was wondering if I can install something into it to allow the musicbrainz tagging service to properly document them, as manual editing is arduous.

The tagging service does not support .mp3, even with the xine-extra codecs installed, so I've been using mp32ogg to do the conversions. Anyone have a different way of tackling this?

Cheers,
                  One

Comment

Originally posted by tonihele
                    This sucks!!!

Use cases:
                    My friend was tired or his Windows crashing all the time. I playfully suggested that he too could use Kubuntu, it's free. So my amazement my friend called me the same night that his Kubuntu looks great. I was really surprised, the guy had never heard the word Linux before.

Anyway, the problem with MP3s yes... I couldn't fix it, he couldn't, this libxine-extracodecs was nowhere to find (I didn't know to seek it directly too), at least in .fi repos, I enabled them all. After 2 days of usage he is back in Windows and swore never to use any Linuxes again!
                    I had the exact situation, except that due to some broken hardware, my Windows won't install at all anymore, so I had to jump to Linux. I've been using Ubuntu in my DHCP-server for over a year, so I thought Kubuntu would be "out of the box" solution for me for web sufring and listening my mp3 collection .. People have also been telling me how Dapper is " almost ready for desktop", a real alternetive for Windows. "It's so easy your grandma could use it!". How wrong I was! Here's my struggle:

1. Installed Kubuntu 6.06 - no problems with partitioning or anything. But amaroK didnt play mp3s so I  thought there's no sound card drivers or something.

2. Found the solution that I need Libxine-extracodecs. Also I need to enable multiverse repositories. No biggie, I've done this before, I thought.

3. Tried enabling and adding multiverse repositories (in Adept), but still didn't see libxine-extracodecs. Searched for more solutions.

4. Ok seems like I need to edit the sources.list manually..  "sudo pico /etc/apt/sources.list". At this point my grandma would be calling me and asking for help!

5. Still didn't find libxine-extracodecs! What have I done wrong? Finally, I noticed I forgot to "update" the packets list before searching anything. My mistake!

6. Installed the extracodecs (and bunch of other codecs too), opened amaroK.. The mp3s still doesn't work! Rebooted the whole thing (which I thought is a Windows thingie), and finally, after 3 days, I can finally play an mp3-file.

It just makes me wonder, if this simple task took me 3 days, is Ubuntu really "ready for desktop" in 2006 ?

Comment

Did you try Automatix? I used it right off on a clean install, and have no problems with mp3s ... listening to them right now in fact!

Comment

Originally posted by Digita
                        Did you try Automatix?  I used it right off on a clean install, and have no problems with mp3s ... listening to them right now in fact!

Automatix? Waht is it?

I don't get it.

And I have problem installing libxine-extracodecs (for amarok)

When I tried to edit /etc/apt/sources.list I get the following error msg:
                        "
                        Malformed line 41 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist)
                        E: The list of sources could not be read."

Comment

Check out this link:
                          http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=177646

It'll give you some more info.

Comment

Ooooh, this guy is gonna love SimplyMEPIS 6.0!
                            It's Linux, it's Kubuntu plus plus
                            Firefox, Thunderbird, Skype, MP3, AAC, amaroK 1.4.0,... they are all there, right from the start.
                            If it's illegal in the land of the free, and probably there only, tough break guys, you can't have it all. It's perfectly OK here in the gulags .

MEPIS 6.0 is a desktop ready for the beginner. It WAS a lot easier to install than Win XP. No pain at all.
                            And I know, because I am a total Linux-beginner, Win XP user until 3 weeks ago. I keep Win XP, but haven't used it for a week.
                            Last Sunday, I installed SimplyMEPIS 6.0 RC3 (release candidate 3), and I am happy as can be.
                            No other reason for me to be on this forum, but to share my happiness after lots of frustration with Kubuntu.

Linux is fantastic. Realise though that the command line is something the beginner should be able to postpone until AFTER (s)he has learned to love Linux.
                            Linux is SO ready to receive the masses, whether you like the fact or not. I suspect that some of the Linux-fans get the same feeling as a backpacker who suddenly sees an invasion of package deal-tourists. But hey, think about all the applications that will pop up for Linux after you can no longer be ignored.

Ubuntu 6.06 at work. Simple and stable
                            MEPIS 6.0 RC3 at home

Comment

Hi people, not sure what the problem is with finding the codecs.
                              My first day on Kubuntu, I realised I couldn't play MP3's, AVI's or a bought DVD. So I visited the forum, typed Amarok, MP3, DVD, AVI and Codecs into the search window and then read a few posts and replies to obtain the answer, namely what packages I needed and where to get them. Took me maybe 10-20 minutes of reading and 5 minutes to install and be enjoying my media.
                              I would suggest this link for a quick easy way to obtain a list of repositories:

http://www.ubuntulinux.nl/source-o-matic

I was using the Adept Package Manager at the time so it was a simple matter to copy and paste the repo address into the text box and click add then apply (in the manage repositories window)

Comment

Working...
                              X