X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just another sound problem

Hi,
    I got a sound problem with kubuntu (dapper).
    Sometimes after booting (about 70% of all sessions) there is no sound available except from xine (via totem, amarok).
    All programs trying to use alsa or artsd are quiet(mplayer, kde-sounds, psi).
    Tv-Time works with sound, but the volume can't be changed.
    The mixers (kmix, alsamixer) then use my tv-card by default (saa7134) instead of my soundcard (ens1371). Trying to change the device manually does not fix the problem.

/proc/asound/cards includes both devices, but the tv-card has a lower id.

I haven't modified any sound settings on my own.

I'm not sure, but I have the subjective feeling, that it work better, after having started & stopped system whithout using kde (for example blackbox instead). I haven't had any problem the next uptime yet. But this can be luck.

Does anyone has an idea how to fix that? Dapper Drake is my first kubuntu. Haven't had such a problem with other distributions.

Carsten

Re: Just another sound problem

To clarify: Whenever the soundcard has the lower id in /proc/asound/cards, there are no problems.

I have no idea about the context, but it could be a problem within the init-scripts? Maybe udev?

Comment

Re: Just another sound problem

Hopefully the OP solved his problem, for those searching for answer, you need to set your default device as described here:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=FAQ026

If you don't want to read it all:
      Look at /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf and find parameters...
      # defaults

defaults.ctl.card 0
      defaults.pcm.card 0

Change it to the card of your choice.

Find out the name of the card:
      $ cat /proc/asound/cards

Note by mschiff: IMO its better to use the card name instead of the number because as you can see in FAQ042 the order of the cards can change if you reboot. I set my default soundcard like that:

Comment

Working...
      X