X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K3b won't burn

Hi

I am struggling to do backups with Kubuntu as it would seem cdrecord and the 2.6 kernel do not play well together.

I get the following error message:

"Used versions
    -----------------------
    cdrecord: 2.1.1a01

cdrecord
    -----------------------
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.15-23-386
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
    scsidev: '1,0,0'
    scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
    Error trying to open /dev/sg0 exclusively (Permission denied)... retrying in 1 second.
    Error trying to open /dev/sg0 exclusively (Permission denied)... retrying in 1 second.
    Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Joerg Schilling
    NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
    and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
    Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
    The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.
    TOC Type: 3 = CD-ROM XA mode 2
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: Permission denied. Cannot open '/dev/sg0'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord:
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .

cdrecord command:
    -----------------------
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord.mmap -v gracetime=2 dev=1,0,0 speed=24 -tao driveropts=burnfree -eject -multi -xa -tsize=118625s -

mkisofs
    -----------------------
    INFO: UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
    Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
    use -input-charset to override.

mkisofs command:
    -----------------------
    /usr/bin/X11/mkisofs -gui -graft-points -volid K3b data project -volset -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR (C) 1998-2005 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND THE K3B TEAM -publisher -preparer -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/kde-ian/k3bRP0ICa.tmp -rational-rock -hide-list /tmp/kde-ian/k3bmHGsZa.tmp -joliet -hide-joliet-list /tmp/kde-ian/k3bpHcKVa.tmp -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 2 -path-list /tmp/kde-ian/k3bHxwuDb.tmp "

The IT guy at my firm understands that there is a dispute between the author of cdrecord and the kernel developers as to whose fault this is, so no-one is bothering to fix it, each blaming the other. An embarassment for open source, I think - don't think Billy boy woild let this happen!

Any idea whether there is a workaround or another burner that doesn't use cdrecord?

Thanks

Ian

Re: K3b won't burn

Your problem may be simpler than it appears. Breezy had problems with permissions (and ownership) on the directory ~/.kde/share/apps/k3b (which is just a gui wrapper for cdrecord). Changing the perms on the directory to 777 fixed k3b, even if it didn't solve the problem.

Comment

Afraid it didn't work. Made the K3b fully readable and writeable by all but no change. In addition to the previous message (obtainable via show debudding output) I also get in the GUI the message that CD Record has no permission to open the device. Having checked, the device would appear to have user read rights but only root can write to it. Is that correct?

Have tried launching K3b from a terminal with sudo, still the same result. My experience with Mandriva leads me to believe that I might get somewhere as root user but how would I do that with Kubuntu. Unfortunately, typing su in a terminal gets a request for a root password which of course I don't have - my user password won't work, of course Is it possible to set up a root user?

Any ideas where next as this is somewhat irritating.

Thanks

Ian

Comment

On my system, /dev/cd* and /dev/dvd* are all links to /dev/hda (an ide dvd writer), which has permissions 660, where the group in question is cdrom. So I think that you should probably try to change the perms on your /dev/sg0 to allow members of the cdrom group, read-write permission. Obviously, you should also verify that your user is a member of the cdrom group.

Unlike Mandriva, (K)Ubuntu, like Mac OS-X, is designed to run without a root user. In order to understand this mode of operation, I suggest you read https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's actually a better way to administer a single user system than the traditional root login.

Comment

Thanks for the link, which was very helpful.

Changing the permissions of dev/scd0 (the destination of all the links) to allow all to read and write did nothing. Presumably I ought now to change back? However, having read your link, I typed in a terminal kdesu k3b and K3b launched in root mode, and burned properly.

However, my experiences in the past have led me to conclude that if I burn certain files in this way (say a backup) if I need to restore I will need to change all the permissions to do so. Given that we now know it works under kdesu, does that give a clue of a fix?

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger

[snip]

Unlike Mandriva, (K)Ubuntu, like Mac OS-X, is designed to run without a root user.   In order to understand this mode of operation, I suggest you read https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo  It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's actually a better way to administer a single user system than the traditional root login.
            If this reply constitutes too much thread drift, then I won't be offended if it is deleted, but I wanted to comment briefly on the line above that running without a root user is a better way to administer a single user system ..

I have a very viable alternative:  I use a root account that has disabled the root password.  If I login as $user, I still have all the built-in security precautions of a root-administered system:  I still have to click Administrator mode in Control Center; File Managers and applications balk if I try to modify a file without root priviledges, etc. 

When I want root access, I usually start a second session as root.  I find that a much more pleasing reminder that I'm doing administrative stuff that could be dangerous than having to enter that bloody password every ten or fifteen minutes ..

It's a controversial solution, so I haven't mentioned how to do it out of respect for those who administer Kubuntu who feel differently.  But, I submit it is viable for some $users like me who respectfully disagree with the Kubuntu model..     

Comment

Just to update - I believe it's definitely a cdrecord/kernel issue as i can write to a DVD RW as normal user. I believe that process uses mkisofs instead of cdrecord.

Ian

Comment

Mkisofs and cdrecord do different things. I quote from the package description of mkiosfs:"Mkisofs is a pre-mastering program for creating ISO-9660 CD-ROM filesystem images, which can then be written to a CD-ROM (or DVD-ROM) using the cdrecord program."

And: "Cdrecord allows you to create CDs on a CD recorder. It supports writing data, audio, mixed, multi-session, and CD+ discs, on just about every type of CD recorder out there."

What k3b does is to porvide a GUI wrapper for mkisofs, cdrecord and some other stuff like cdrdao.

Can you give a reference to the idea that crecord has problems with with 2.6 kernels? I haven't seen this before. Of course, I wasn't looking.

Comment

The issue is alluded to in the error message I was getting, referred to in my first post.

It has also been discussed at Linuxquestions.org. See this link.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=342682

Thanks for your help.

Ian

Comment

If you read through the thread in that link, you'll see that it's just part of a liquid excretion contest instigated by the original author of cdrecord. The Debian version, used by Ubuntu, has always worked for me, with the minor exception of the permissions problem on the k3b directory in Breezy.

Comment

I had wondered whether there were egos at work here.

The problem has to a significant degree become less important to me since my original post given that I can burn DVDs as user. I'll have a mess around when I've got a bit of spare time.

Thanks for your help

Ian

Comment

I had the same exact error message as you.

I checked the permissions of /dev/sg0 and found it was root:root

I ran the following code:
                        Code:
                        sudo chown root:cdrom /dev/sg0
                        and was able to burn successfully as a user.

This was only a temporary fix, as UDEV would change the permissions back to root:root after a reboot.

To fix this permanently, edit the /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules file.

Find the section that looks like this:
                        Originally posted by 40-permissions.rules
                        # SCSI devices
                        ENV{PHYSDEVBUS}!="scsi", GOTO="scsi_end"
                        SYSFS{type}=="1", GROUP="tape"
                        SYSFS{type}=="5", GROUP="cdrom"
                        SYSFS{type}=="6", GROUP="scanner"
                        SYSFS{type}=="3", SYSFS{vendor}=="HP", GROUP="scanner"
                        LABEL="scsi_end"
                        and change it to this:
                        Originally posted by 40-permissions.rules
                        # SCSI devices
                        ENV{PHYSDEVBUS}!="scsi", GOTO="scsi_end"
                        SYSFS{type}=="1", GROUP="tape"
                        SYSFS{type}=="5", GROUP="cdrom"
                        SYSFS{type}=="6", GROUP="scanner"
                        SYSFS{type}=="3", SYSFS{vendor}=="HP", GROUP="scanner"
                        KERNEL=="sg[0-9]", GROUP="cdrom"
                        LABEL="scsi_end"

Comment

hi,
                          I had a similar dificulty, here is the thread i made:
                          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3688.0

I wouldn't advise reading it now though, tis very long and took me ages to solve, you can go to the second page and see what i wrote, and the afvice i was given.

For a quick reply now I would suggest running k3b as root, via: "kdesu k3b" in the shell command line. The you have to enter your password.
                          Ever since I tried this it has always work, it is a little cumbersome to type this everytime to open k3b, but I havent had any hiccup with cd or dvds since.

Hope that this helps, I know its frustrating when it doesnt work, hang on in there.

Comment

Working...
                          X