X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel C++ Compiler -> Installation failed

Hi,

I was trying to install Intel C++ Compiler 9.0, but it displayes me Installation failed at the end...

I have login to root account, i have unpack tar file with icc, i have run ./install.sh

i have type 1, i have type 1 and i have type my license number.

Later i got this:

Code:
    Checking RPM version ...

Checking Dependencies ...
    Checking Kernel and glibc dependencies ...

install_cc.sh can't identify your machine type, glibc, or kernel.

This product is supported for use with the following combinations  :

Machine Type        Kernel glibc

1. IA-32/EM64T         2.4.x  2.2.5
      IA-32/EM64T         2.4.x  2.2.4
      IA-32/EM64T         2.4.x  2.2.93
      IA-32/EM64T         2.4.x  2.3.2
      IA-32/EM64T         2.6.x  2.3.x
      IA-32/EM64T         2.6.x  2.4.x

x. Exit

If you would you like to perform an unsupported install of this product, enter the number corresponding to the platform most similar to yours. Otherwise, enter "x" to exit  :
    I'm typing 1 to continue. Btw: My PC is 32bit Intel Centrino 1.6MHz and my operating system is the latest kubuntu beta 2, and uname -r = 2.6.15-23-386

After that i'm typing the Typical Install (i have try also Custom Install but this also don't work)

Later i'm asked for agree the license terms and conditions.

Later i'm choosing the installation paths (i'm choosing the defaults)

Instantly after that...

Code:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Substitute Headers for Intel(R) C++ Compiler for 32-bit applications, Version 9.0
    Installing...
    Installation successful.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel(R) C++ Compiler for 32-bit applications, Version 9.0
    Installing...
    Installation failed.
    Btw:I don't see any log files in the unpacked folder.

Could anyone help me?

Greets&Thanks
    Peter_K

Re: Intel C++ Compiler -> Installation failed

I'm typing 1 to continue. Btw: My PC is 32bit Intel Centrino 1.6MHz and my operating system is the latest kubuntu beta 2, and uname -r = 2.6.15-23-386
    If you type 1, you're telling the installer that you are using a 2.4 kernel with glibc 2.2.5 You are definitely using a 2.6 kernel, and Breezy is using glibc 2.3.5 so I suspect that Dapper is using glibc 2.4.x. I would suggest that you try either 5 or 6 instead of 1. That way you will tell the installer that you are using a 2.6 kernel with 2.3.x (5) or 2.4.x (6) libraries.

Comment

Unfortunately options 5 & 6 dont work Install.sh is saying me instantly "Incorrect option"

Comment

Did you actually download the appropriate version of the Intel compiler? BTW, why are you trying to use the Intel compiler? You have already lost any time that you might have saved, if the intel compiler is actually faster than GCC. Are you trying to generate proprietary, closed source, software?

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
          Did you actually download the appropriate version of the Intel compiler? BTW, why are you trying to use the Intel compiler? You have already lost any time that you might have saved, if the intel compiler is actually faster than GCC. Are you trying to generate proprietary, closed source, software?
          I have download the latest version of Intel C++ Compiler -> 9.0.030

Comment

Hello,

I have the same problem with the Intel C++ Compiler/Kubuntu 6.06, and I have no idea how to solve it. I'm still waiting for Intel's support.

Have you received any help on this issue since your last post?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

In case you're wondering, the correct answer to the question in the Intel compiler set is that Dapper uses a 2.6 kernel and the 2.3.6 libraries. (At least for AMD64 processors.)

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Indeed, I know that the reason is that the kernel in Dapper is 2.6.x as I did manage to install the compiler under kubuntu 5.10. The question now is how to work around this problem, as I do not want to go back to kubuntu 5.10.

Have you a any hint ?
                cheers

Comment

I use g++

Comment

Hello,

I have found the solution, and now my Intel C++ Compiler is working under Kubuntu 6.06.

Here is the work around:
                    i) Install to the end as usual by running ./install.sh from the rep. where the intel compiler package is untarred. Ignore the error "Installation failed".
                    This at least installs the /opt/intel directories and the licence.
                    ii) Go back to the installation rep and convert all RPMs (only those corresponding to your architecture, I've only tried i386 so far) to DEBs using alien, i.e., type alien blah.rpm.
                    iii) Install each DEB (starting with the intel compiler and then the debugger) using: dpkg -i blah.deb.
                    iv) go to /opt/intel/.../bin and edit the executable icc and replace all occurrences of <INSTALLDIR> by the correct path. You can also do this in the file iccvars.h and paste its content in your .bashrc so that you run icc anywhere.

This procedure has worked for me. However, the problem goes beyond the issue of intel compiler. The question is how to efficinetly install "alien" packages (i.e., tarred packages containing, e.g., rpms) under kubuntu or debian-based distros. It should be quite useful to know.

Cheers

Comment

Re: Intel C++ Compiler -&gt; Installation failed

Take a look at this Wiki page: https://wiki.kubuntu.org/RPM/AlienHowto Although, it appears that you already know how to install RPM packages as efficiently as possible. Personally, I have been reluctant to use RPMs on debian based installations because of differences in library locations and potential version dependency problems, but if it works, go to it.

By the way, what is the attraction of the Intel compiler? As far as I know, gcc has all the Intel optimizations, and I don't think that the licensing terms preclude developing proprietary software.

Comment

Re: Intel C++ Compiler -&gt; Installation failed

Hello,

The Intel C++ compiler is simply faster than gcc and with the option -fast on 64b architectures it's even faster.
                        Here is a small test (with the same prg, on the same machine, of course):

Intel : 61s
                        gcc : 82s
                        Borland : 176s

The difference between Intel and gcc increases with increasing CPU of a run.
                        Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                        X