This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mp3 player

I have tried kaffiene and amarok, no joy. Was able to build a mp3 collection on a kaffeine playlist. Amarok crashed twice when building a collection. Sent the info off to Amarok.
    Strange thing is Xmms plays mp3's with no problem, but doesnt have a data base to manage a collection. So I have to get one of these working. Both using Xine player, I think I have the rite codecs installed but not sure. I have a 8.3 gig, 2758 mp3 files in the collection so everything takes some time. I am a noob but a quick learner. Help please. Using kubuntu dapper. The file libxine-extracodecs is not in universe or multiverse.

Re: mp3 player

libxine-extracodecs sure should be in multiverse, i have it from there

I might suggest rythmbox, tho it will have to install a few gnome-based dependencies, and juk is a kde based player that is simpler and seems to work well

Comment

I have libxine-dev listed but no libxine-extracodecs? What am I doing wrong. The codecs are listed in kaffiene as win32 codecs, still not playing mp3's.

Comment

Are you sure you have enabled multiverse and updated the package list (with 'sudo apt-get update' or 'Fetch Updates' in Adept)

libxine-extracodecs is definitely in multiverse.

Comment

When I click on the universe or multiverse repo they have an option of disable/clone/remove. Must be enabled. I click on apply, close , files are listed. Searching and scrolling reveals no libxine-extracodecs. Not there, rhytmnbox, looks interesting, it is listed but would like to stay with KDE. Willing to try anything, more suggestions?

Comment

Just to make sure...have you updated the package list (with 'sudo apt-get update' or clicked 'Fetch Updates' in Adept)

If you have clicked it and still it cannot be found...the next thing you should do is post the contents of the file '/etc/apt/sources.list' so we can check your multiverse repository is enabled properly

Comment

I did it again"fetch updates" and although it took like forever, and headers listed multiverse and universe along with main. 18222 headers available, again no libxine-extracodecs on search or scrolling. Source lists both universe and multiverse, whether or not they are properly listed I can't tell.

Comment

Originally posted by crossface
                Source lists both universe and multiverse, whether or not they are properly listed I can't tell.
                The line you should have in your /etc/apt/sources.list should be something like:
                deb http://XX.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper multiverse
                (Where XX is your country code)

It's also possible to have multiple repositories on one line, like:
                deb http://XX.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper universe multiverse

(Just make sure there is 'dapper multiverse' in there somewhere, not just 'dapper-updates multiverse' or 'dapper-security multiverse' etc.)

If you want to be absolutely sure you have it enabled, post the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list here. 

Comment

universe and multiverse are listed. So that should confirm that in dapper Dan their is no libxine-extracodecs. Many posts have stated that. If you check all the software posts I'm just the latest to have posted it. Whats up?

Comment

Pure baloney
                    It sure is in dapper's multiverse. The first attachment shows my 2nd box's Dapper sources.list as seen via adept. It is purely stock except for enabling all the extra repositories that were originally commented out (universe, backports, etc) then adding "multiverse" to the same line as universe

The second screenie shows my search results.

'nuff said; you just need to add "multiverse" to the section I circled in the first snapshot and fetch updates

Attached Files

Comment

Ah, nice screenshots claydoh...a picture truly speaks more than a thousand words

Originally posted by crossface
                      universe and multiverse are listed. So that should confirm that in dapper Dan their is no libxine-extracodecs. Many posts have stated that. If you check all the software posts I'm just the latest to have posted it. Whats up?
                      Most times someone can't find libxine-extracodecs, it's because they have enabled only universe and not multiverse. That's why there are multiple threads about it, I'm 100% sure it's in multiverse:
                      http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...e-extracodecs/

You can check if other multiverse packages (like 'msttcorefonts' and 'flashplugin-nonfree') are available to confirm you have properly enabled the repository.

Also, there might be a problem with your local mirror...You can try the universal repository (without the country abbreviation):
                      deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper multiverse

Comment

I tried adding http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper multiverse and immediately got an error and now cannot open adept? Guess someone wants us to use the us repos. Now what.

Comment

Make sure the line you added is exactly as kubicle has given:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper multiverse
                          You may have to edit the file manually to fix this.

Open your text editor with sudo privileges:
                          goto Kmenu/Run Command
                          and enter:
                          "kdesu kwrite"
                          and then use the text editor to open /etc/apt/sources.list
                          you can remove the line you created, or edit it.

Comment

Need to add "deb" in front of the line. Oh sheesh, I'm gui noob, lead me through it precisely please.

Comment

Did the kwrite edit. Removed the line. saved and quit, rebooted and checked apt file. The in error line is still there. What am i missing. Can not access adept for upgrades or anything. i'm dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X