This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept Problem

When I try to run adept. It tells me to run apt-setup and apt-get upgrade and rerun adept. I am not sure about the command apt-setup. I try this command in a console and it doesn't seem to work.

Re: Adept Problem

apt-setup is a program which generates a /etc/apt/sources.list file. Therefore, I suspect that the error message means that there's something wrong with your /etc/apt/sources.list file, but it's not clear what. I would suggest getting a new sources.list file from the source-o-matic web site: http://www.ubuntulinux.nl/source-o-matic You can install the file in place of your old file, use it to proofread your old sources.list, or anything in between like adding a few extra repositories.

Comment

I have the exact same problem, but if it's something in the sources.list file I'll be damned if I can find it. I replaced the list with one I generated from source-o-matic: same problem. I even deleted every line from it but a single source to see if it was somehow choking on one of the comment lines or something silly like that - no difference.

Synaptic works fine, as does apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. I'm not very impressed with the current state of Adept, given this is my first experience with it.
      Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Personally, I never use Adept. Synaptic is mature, proven software that just works. Adept jsut isn't ready.

Comment

Bug has been lodged at https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...ept/+bug/40410 and a fix already found, just run:
            sudo debtags update
          and all will be working again.

i agree Adept still needs a little polish, but this one wasn't Adept's problem per se.  Also check out the new adept-installer for newbies ('Add/Remove Programs' on the K menu), finally desktop package installation made easy.

john.

Comment

I have the same issue described above, and tried sudo debtags, now i get a new error message when trying to run adept "Sorry Adept - could not find mime type application/octet-stream"
            Pls help.

Comment

I had the same problem with a fresh install of Dapper.  Just did "sudo apt-get synaptic", upgraded evrything with synaptic, and.... bang!!... working perfectly!! (using stock repositories).

Comment

I've had this happen a few times. Careful examination of my sources list always showed that when adding repos, either manually or through Adept, characters such as periods or other were inexplicably appended to the repo URL. At times this would just pop up for no apparant reason, as in I hadn't edited the source list recently and up until that moment, all had been well. Correcting the list in vi and running apt-get update fixed the problem every time.

Comment

Working...
                X