This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APT database could not be opened

I installed the beta from the text mode installer and everything appeared to go smooth. However, whenever I try to run adept from KDE (or the Add/Remove Programs), I get the following:

The APT Database could not be opened! This may be caused by incorrect APT configuration or some similar problem. Try running apt-setup and apt-get update in terminal and see if it helps to resolve the problem.

Apt-setup doesn't appear to exist on my install. Running apt-get update (or upgrade, or install {pkgname}) from the command line works fine w/o a hitch. Looking around I found some commands like apt-get clean and autoclean followed by an updatedb but that didn't work.

Any ideas/fixes for this issue?

Thanks,

Beemer

Re: APT database could not be opened

I had exactly the same experience with Kubuntu 6.06 beta today (installed from the Install-CD). I needed to manually kill still running "Adept-update" process to get rid of the lock file. Only then could I install kpackage and synaptic. Note: Why are both of these 'essential packages' missing in a standard installation of (k)ubuntu testversions? There's only this crappy "Adept-update" beta program and 'apt-get' to get the job done.....).

I tried the Kubuntu 6.60 beta LiveCD first. The .iso checked with a correct md5-checksum, booted OK, ran OK. But the Expresso Installer failed miserably.
    Up to the third stage everything in Expresso was fine. Then "selecting the disk" came up and.....POOF.....! I was back on the LiveCD Desktop again.

Failing Installer on the LiveCD. Failing Program Updater/Manager after Installation. That's not very promising - after the progress made in The Dapper Flight-series........:-(

Regards, Ko

Comment

Yup. same issue here. Where can I find the flight 9 disk....

Comment

Originally posted by pkulak
        Yup. same issue here. Where can I find the flight 9 disk....
        Same issue here as well. Replacing sources.list had no effect. Synaptic and apt-get work fine, so I don't think it's the sources file.

I'm using the AMD64 version of 6.06 beta, btw.

-J
        Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Bug has been lodged at https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...ept/+bug/40410 and a fix already found, just run:
          sudo debtags update
          and all will be working again.

John.

Comment

Originally posted by odysseus
            Bug has been lodged at https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...ept/+bug/40410 and a fix already found, just run:
            sudo debtags update
            and all will be working again.

John.
            Thanks for the info. Now, I can get the program to start.

I had a problem getting it to install nVu; it kept failing while getting the package, whereas Synaptic worked fine. I was able to install other software with Adept though, so maybe it was a transient error.

-J
            Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

I think you're still better off using Synaptic, but I'm a nut on this subject.

[rant] My reasons are: first, unless the default has been changed for Dapper, Adept doesn't tell you what it's going to remove when it installs what you asked for unless you explicitly ask what it's gonig to remove. This is WRONG, new users, who are most likely to fall into the trap should be expliciltly given an option to remvoe the warning. Second, as the recent incident implies, it is still in a state of flux. Admittedly, any program can wind up with a bug, but a tried and true program with a long development history is less likely to do so.[/rant]

So, my advice is to use Synaptric, because it has a lower probabillity of causing grief.

Comment

Working...
              X