This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Processor pegged at 100% after upgrade to Dapper

My processor is stuck at 100% after upgrading from breezy to dapper. But everything seems to be running normally (doesn't feel sluggish). The last time this happened, I believe it was related to the kernal. I'm running 2.6.12-10-k7.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks.

Re: Processor pegged at 100% after upgrade to Dapper

Rebooted and went with this kernal: 2.6.15-20-686 and all is well. Processor is behaving normally now. Also, my sound wasn't working with the k7 kernal but it is now. Must still be some problems with the newest kernal?

Comment

Originally posted by footer
      My processor is stuck at 100% after upgrading from breezy to dapper.  But everything seems to be running normally (doesn't feel sluggish).  The last time this happened, I believe it was related to the kernal.  I'm running 2.6.12-10-k7.
      2.6.12-10-k7 is a 'breezy' kernel so you're bound to experience problems in dapper...try 2.6.15-20-k7

Comment

Thanks for the reply and advice. I will give that kernel a try. While I'm asking questions ... I have a bunch of kernels installed. I'm assuming I can just apt-get remove the ones I'm not planning to use again? I'd like to keep only the most current one(s).

Thanks!

Comment

Hi,

Yes, you can remove them, simply by sudo apt-get remove linux-image-*

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by sky
            sudo apt-get remove linux-image-*
            Doesn't that remove *all* kernels? :P
            Or did you mean he should replace * with the kernel(s) he's trying to remove?

Comment

That's what I was thinking! I haven't done anything yet but it is not my intention to remove ALL kernels! That wouldn't be too smart now would it!

Comment

Yes, really sorry, I forgot to say that you should put instead of the "*" the version of the kernel you want to remove...
                For example :
                sudo apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.12-10-amd64-k8-smp

You can get complete name of all packages installed by this command :
                dpkg-query -l | grep linux-image
                The lines starting by "ii" means that it's installed
                by "rc" means that it's removed

Sorry for this huge lack of information

Comment

OK. I've removed a bunch of old kernels and as suggested in Reply #2, I'm using 2.6.15-20-k7. However, processor is still pegged at 100%. DAMN! Anyone know what else there is to try or is this a Dapper 'bug' and I just need to wait until everything is finalized and working correctly (as of 6/1 hopefully?).

I should mention that my system is current (using apt-get update/upgrade).

Thanks!

PS. Looks like the k7 kernal image is being held back (?):

The following packages have been kept back:
                  gdk-imlib1 gnome-cups-manager krita libwine linux-headers-686 linux-image-386
                  linux-image-686 linux-image-k7 linux-restricted-modules-386 linux-restricted-modules-686
                  linux-restricted-modules-k7 mousepad python-netcdf udev

Comment

Hi,

I remember I had such trouble with dapper, it was because hotplugd was installed, I removed and now it's great... Maybe you can check :
                    dpkg-query -l | grep hotplug
                    If it's installed try to remove it by :
                    sudo apt-get remove hotplug
                    and check if it's better.

If you don't have or it's not better after removing, you should check like me, what is taking so much processor.
                    For konsole, type top and check what process is first, then you will know what to do (at least you will be able to ask)

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by sky
                      Hi,

I remember I had such trouble with dapper, it was because hotplugd was installed, I removed and now it's great... Maybe you can check :
                      dpkg-query -l | grep hotplug
                      If it's installed try to remove it by :
                      sudo apt-get remove hotplug
                      and check if it's better.

If you don't have or it's not better after removing, you should check like me, what is taking so much processor.
                      For konsole, type top and check what process is first, then you will know what to do (at least you will be able to ask)

Cheers
                      Thanks for the comments! I didn't know about "top". I checked for hotplug and it's there but mysteriously, yesterday morning, the processor went back to normal. It was fine until this morning when it pegged again for awhile. I checked with top and it said updatedb was taking up most of the processor. What is updatedb?

The processor is back to normal now and I didn't have to remove hotplug but I will keep that in mind for future reference. If I remove hotplug, will I still be able to plug in memory flashcards, thumbdrives, or other USB devices and still have them recognized instantly? I'm a little gunshy about removing hotplug to be honest ...

Thanks!

Comment

If it gone down, you shouldn't remove hotplug, I did it in really early stages of dapper (something like december last year). updatedb is an utility which is making searches faster (with locate) so it's normal that on time to time it's running to 100% and after stop to use processor.

So if your processor is still going to high use "top" and check out how is using it, then look for a way to lower it

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X