This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I really need kwallet?

I need the forums wisdom of uninstalling kwallet. Personally its a constant pain, and I like to see it go, however I don't want to run the risk of breaking anything, nor am I aware of everthing it does. Any thoughts?

Chimney

Re: Do I really need kwallet?

Originally posted by chimney
    I need the forums wisdom of uninstalling kwallet. Personally its a constant pain, and I like to see it go, however I don't want to run the risk of breaking anything, nor am I aware of everthing it does. Any thoughts?

Chimney
    If you want to be sure you don't break anything, don't use Adept to uninstall it. Adept will not warn you if you're removing a whole bunch of other packages by removing KWallet.

Go to KMenu > System > Konsole and type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove kwalletmanager
    If doing that will also uninstall a whole bunch of other packages, you'll be warned first and can say "yes" or "no" to proceeding.
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Thanks for the advice, is there really anything else kwallet does except for bugging me to store passwords and storing passwords?

Chimney

Comment

Originally posted by chimney
        Thanks for the advice, is there really anything else kwallet does except for bugging me to store passwords and storing passwords?

Chimney
        I don't know. But you can read all about it here.
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

i know this is an old thread but i figured i'd post in case it helps anyone. i think i managed to disable the ever-annoying kwallet without uninstalling it.
          press 'alt+f2'
          enter 'kwalletmanager'
          you should see an icon on the panel. right click on it. select 'configure wallet'
          uncheck the "Enable the KDE wallet subsytem" check box
          press 'OK'
          quit kwalletmanager

edit: i guess this was probably covered in the pdf linked by aysiu but maybe it didn't have the exact command 'kwalletmanager' (not that you all couldn't figure that out). oh well, at least now maybe someone won't have to bother reading through the pdf.

Comment

of course, there's another way to do that without having to know that the file name for KDE Wallet Manager is actually kwalletmanager:

Launch System Settings and go to Security and Privacy. It's already there.
            Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

doh!

when i searched in kcontrol, i searched for "kwallet" instead of just wallet so i thought that it was not there.

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
                of course, there's another way to do that without having to know that the file name for KDE Wallet Manager is actually kwalletmanager:

Launch System Settings and go to Security and Privacy. It's already there.
                I'll take a moment to chime in here and say that if kwallet ever begins acting funny, or you forget the password, you can do as suggested here and disable kwallet, but if you want to keep it active (and I do), delete the wallet.  Next time you enter a password, Konqueror will prompt you to use the kwallet system, and you have a fresh start on a clean wallet.  You'll have to enter all the passwords again, but that's a small enough price to pay.  Myself, I love this feature.  A lot easier remembering one password than 20 .. 

Comment

Working...
                X