X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

printing stopped working after last Dapper update

Hi all:

My exwife's computer won't print after the last big Dapper update. She uses Dapper for her work/home computer (waiting for latest LTS to iron out before we upgrade OS) plus VMWare to run a copy of XP so she can use Quickbooks for her work.

Anyway, she noticed that she couldn't print out from XP. I asked if she could print from Linux side and she couldn't. I opened a Konsole and started top and here's what was on the top of the list:
    4158 cupsys 25 0 4332 2044 1448 R 95.2 0.4 1:54.09 cupsd

at times, cupsd is 99% and of course nothing is printing and the system starts to crawl.

What should be my troubleshooting steps here? She really needs to print out her reports so this is sort of a bugger for her.

Thanks all, hope we can figure it out soon.

best to all,
    --<br />wishing you well

Re: printing stopped working after last Dapper update

See my reply on the other thread.

I've used gnome-cups-manager to install my printer, instead of the Kubuntu System Settings/Printers tools, and this has done the trick.

HTH

Comment

Okay, here's the rest of the story:

I was on a remote job and unable to assist her. My brother did the work this weekend remotely and found that her root drive was loaded--the last huge update maxed out the capacity of / which made it impossible for the update to complete and clear lock files!

There were other issues, but this was the one that made cupsys go crazy. . .

Anyway folks, check your drive and make sure you have given / and /home enough room. Also, by default, vmware wants to install in /var so this could cause problems. I always give a small amount of room for OS and rest to home. We fixed that too!

Regards,
      --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Originally posted by a_hippie
        found that her root drive was loaded--the last huge update maxed out the capacity of / which made it impossible for the update to complete and clear lock files!
        Yep, that will cause any manner of problems. :P
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X