X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CUPS Failure - CUPS will not start

So when I try to start CUPS I see 'cupsd: Child exited on signal 11!'

I have tried to completly remove all CUPS related programs using Synaptic complete removal tool and then reinstalling with no luck.

I have a laptop running Dapper and I have no CUPS issues with that one, just with this desktop. I do not want to reinstall Dapper as I will loose all my Kontact emails and misc settings so I want to try to fix it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have searched the forums and tried all suggested solutions to this issue with no avail. I tried editing the file and commenting out the line it suggests and I have made sure that localhost is in the settings for cups....and no go

Thanks,
    Dan

Re: CUPS Failure - CUPS will not start

First of all, it is almost never neccesary to reinstall Linux. But, just in case something horrible happens, you should backup so that you don't lose everything in your /home directory.

Start a konsole, K>System>Konsole (That's "System", not "System Settings" or "System Menu"
    then type
    Code:
    sudo tar cvzf home.tgz /home
    When asked, enter your password.

This will back up all of your data and all of your preferences so that in the event you erase something that you shouldn't have, you can get it back.

Meanwhile, I can't neccesarily help with your printing problem, I can tell you that signal 11 usually means a segfault, in other words, the computer was told to look for something outside the area in memory where the program is authorized to look. This is the kind of thing that happens with beta software. That's why Dapper hasn't been released yet. You should send a bug report to the Ubuntu developers.

Comment

Yea re-install is a last resort and I do not want to go there.

Now the message I see in the error_log for cups is:
      cupsdStartBrowsing: Unable to bind broadcast socket - Address already in use.

But the port is open and not in use....any suggestions?

Comment

I suspect that the Cupsd is still running. Try System Settings > System Services (Administrator Mode)>Cupsys>restart. I don't think it can hurt and it might help.

Comment

Yea I have gone there and it is not running. I have spent way too much time trying to figure out what is wrong with CUPS. I must have screwed it up somehow along the way of updateing since flight 2. But because it works fine on another computer with flight 5 running looks like I will just wait until the production version comes out in June and just do a full reinstall. My head hurts from trying to find answers and manually build and install CUPS packages.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Comment

Working...
          X